3D-printable model of the cover of Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures"

23 Responses to “3D-printable model of the cover of Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures"”

1. oasisob1 says:

“But in the end I spend an evening tracing the waves by hand.”

I’m in love. That’s some real hardcore dedication right there.

2. GawainLavers says:

And now to glue it to the front of a black t-shirt…

3. Kenmrph says:

What do you call a thing that you never thought of, but when you see it, you immediately know it *had* to exist.  This is one of those.

4. doniphon says:

Want… please.

5. pedalmore says:

Okay, that’s really cool, but I can’t keep concern troll at bay any longer.

Once this technology proliferates, and everyone can enjoy printing anything anytime, we’re going to be up to our nipples in nurdles, and the oceans will be a micro-plastic soup. Is is really a good idea to realize every vision in plastic?

6. nixiebunny says:

What did you use for the data hidden by a tall spike in front of it?

I realize that when viewed from the angle at which this photo was shot, it doesn’t matter, but the whole point of a 3D rendering is to be able to see it from other angles.

• em says:

Guilty. I had to approximate the curves. Unless we don’t get the original dataset that was used for the scientific visualization there’s no other way. But i thought as long it’s a cover / t-shirt motive i don’t have to deliver scientific quality.

7. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Looks a little ragged.  Guess “She’s Lost Control”.

• em says:

Indeed. The printer’s extruder actually sometimes lost control of feeding the filament. A common problem from time to time.

8. Joseph Francis says:

Needs to be photographed from much further away with a longer lens.

9. Joseph Francis says:

Now lets make it out of paper, Grafica Obscura-style

10. aenik says:

I’m a bit confused, this seems to be a left-right flip of the actual cover, any specific reason this is the case?

• em says:

You’re right. Somewhere inbetween Inkscape, Processing, Blender and MakerWare an error occurred and mirrored the model. I’ll flip it and upload a corrected version.

11. em says:

I actually got some datasets of PSR B1919+21 and visualized them in Processing. Unfortunately if did not find the original dataset of 1967.
    Do you know where to get the original dataset?

12. bingobangoboy says:

Best 3D printing application ever.