17 Responses to “Game designer creates a never-played-by-humans titanium boardgame and buries it for play 2700 years from now”

1. Billy Denton says:

You say “never played by a human.” I hear “never playtested by a human.”

The game probably sucks. Neat project, though.

• jandrese says:

It doesn’t seem to matter, he’s going to be long dead before anybody is around to tell him that his algorithm had a flaw and his game is horribly broken and unplayable.

• dagfooyo says:

Yeah, this was my thought, too.  Then again, it was playtested by computer.  So maybe by the time it’s opened the singularity will have happened and the AIs living in their post-human hellscape will hail it as a fun game their ancestors created.

2. madzack says:

it could just be in the first location someone looks for it.

3. oasisob1 says:

Or those who have the coordinates could set to publishing them on the web, then reddit can figure out which locations can’t be right, and volunteers can go find it. Then this game could be gathering dust on a shelf in a month or so.

4. Or crowd-source the locations and it will be dug up by the end of the weekend.

5. Christopher says:

However, my money is on this being buried somewhere along the trash-fence at Burning Man.

I’d bet on the fence where Steve Buscemi buried the briefcase of money in Fargo. On second thoughts that might not be such a good place, since so many people have already gone digging there, and many more will be sure to follow.

If it were me I’d sink it in the Marianas Trench. I’m an optimist and assume that in 2700 years the oceans won’t have changed much, but that the technology will exist that will make it just as easy to travel 7 miles under water as it currently is to travel 7 miles across, or even above, land.

6. peregrinus says:

2,700 years seems very optimistic for human survival.  Certainly in a healthy enough state to practice archeology.

7. Seraphim_72 says:

Such a missed opportunity. I would have placed it at the foot of the Long Now clock and titled it “The game to kill ten thousand years of time with”

8. DevinC says:

The concept of making a game for people 2,700 years from now and burying it isn’t, to me, particularly novel.  But using genetic algorithms to automate design and playtesting?  Now that’s interesting.

9. doniphon says:

I would offer the following: “DIY Drone” and “Ground-Penetrating Radar.” and “GPS.”

10. Petzl says:

He’s just fucking with our distant descendants.

They’ll find it and be all “This must be important!”

So, great.  This inane game and the L R Hubbards collected works etched on steel plates will be how future historians / inquiring aliens learn about us.

11. I used to have a friend back in New England who did something similar. He would make tablets with an invented form of hieroglyphs and then bury them around the us…just to fuck with our descendants. Good times.

12. I’m more intrigued by this “genetic algorithms to evolve and play-test a board-game” business !