Our planet just had the third warmest May in recorded history

17 Responses to “Our planet just had the third warmest May in recorded history”

1. JJ Duncan says:

Clearly the solution here is to ride this out until the average rises a couple degrees and we’ll no longer have “above average” temperatures!

2. Monte Davis says:

JJ: Exactly. Global averages went much higher 75, 300, and 450 million years ago — and we don’t hear any whining from the agriculture-dependent civilizations of 8-10 billion that were around then, do we?

• chenille says:

To them I say: Atta girls!

• Monte Davis says:

:-) That’s because they did a lot of social networking.

Actually, I think they were around for the Paleocene-Eocene maximum, not the earlier ones. And wouldn’t mere “billions” qualify as a near-extinction event for them?

• chenille says:

Yes on both; I wasn’t actually being accurate at all. To make it up, I will offer this fact I learned about them in case you hadn’t seen it before.

That’s going off topic, of course, but it sadly feels like there is nothing left to add on it among sensible company.

• Monte Davis says:

Oh, I’m still learning new stuff every day, e.g. that there are more ways to cherry-pick short declines out of long increases than I ever learned in Dumb Statistical Errors 101.

3. if this wasn’t the warmest May, that means we’re trending downwards!

4. heavystarch says:

*YAWN*

5. IronEdithKidd says:

Michigan bucked the trend by having a cooler than normal spring.  Which is a lovely change from the past few years wherein the last week of June has averaged over 90F each day.  I can get behind a 4th of July that isn’t 104F, like last year was.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

We’ve been running five or six degrees over average through the hot half of the year for a couple of years now.  It’s quite irksome, really.

• IronEdithKidd says:

You just described all of our summers after 2006.  IIRC, 2007 was only a bit above normal.  Last year was desert-hot plus humidity.  Grew some fantastically hot peppers last year, but that’s the only nice thing I can say about the entire summer.

6. francoisroux says:

This while we have been experiencing the coldest weather in Cape Town since moving here 14 years ago…

• Nick Hayday says:

Coldest spring in the UK forever, must be damn hot somewhere

• pineapplecharm says:

Pouring down wet, late hail, clouds gather
        You’re living in the country with the cold spring weather
        But elsewhere it’s daaaaaaaaaaaamn hot.

Nope, still annoyed.

7. KingHyperbole says:

Man, if I believed in climate change, this could really be troubling. Regardless, I blame Obama.