How the Strand sells print books to ebook readers


Avi Solomon snapped this pic of the window display at NYC bookstore The Strand lauding the virtues of their "Real books priced lower than ebooks," including the fact that you can read them during take-off and landing.

Real Books... (via Boing Boing Flickr Pool)

Notable Replies

  1. Also no DRM, no spying, easily resold or shared...

  2. Also: You will actually own the book, not just a license to read it on proprietary hardware.

  3. It's funny, but the things they choose to highlight seem a bit odd to me. Although my Kindle does have a battery that needs charging, it lasts so long that (unlike laptops and tablets) it never seems to be something I need to worry about. If it gets to 25% I just know I should charge it sometime in the next week.

    Likewise, the screen is almost as good in bright sunlight as paper, and I think it's only ever required one OS update. I can't really comment on whether you can read it in a plane taking off.

    I would have thought they'd be better off pointing out that you can easily share a paper book, and that you properly own it.

  4. Terror-nook!

    This signage is wonderful. All the reasons I like my dead-tree reading devices.

  5. dpamac says:

    Sometimes I feel so lonely in my love of both. I love my print books. I make my living off of print books. I love book stores and I hate watching so many of them die. Yet part of me feels this is a form factor discussion more than anything else. When I want to read, sure, there is an experiential factor involved. The smell of the book, the feel of the pages, the experience of browsing the store. There are also the times when I can buy a book over the air in an airport. Almost any book I want. Or being able to bring a whole series with me on a single, tiny device, while I travel from city to city for work. In the end I want the work of the author, in which I play a part. The delivery system is often irrelevant as it merely conveys the author's intent into my head as my imagination works in tandem with the author's creation to put on a terrific show in my brain. Do I love my vast library? Absolutely. Do I love my local book store? Absolutely. What I hate is that the form factor is limited to specific stores. I'd gladly buy my ebook from a local book store. We argue about the wrong things. Paper versus electronic isn't the issue. It's closed systems that are the issue. Publishers should make one file available to all their retail partners. Not one special one for Apple, one special one for Amazon...They need to get their paranoia of piracy exorcised to get rid of DRM (90% of people are too lazy to pirate anyway and the other 10% probably spend as much on media as they do time on pirating) and we need to get ours about how the content is delivered exorcised. Want an archival copy? Buy an archival copy. Want a quick read? Then buy a quick read.

Continue the discussion bbs.boingboing.net

12 more replies

Participants