As I've mentioned in previous tweets and blog posts from the road trip I'm on in West Africa, Obama is super popular over here. Above and left, evidence.
BB pal Hugo Van Tilborg, who's lived here in Benin for a few years, shot the iphone snaps below in and around Cotonou (click for larger size). Above, Obama has a beach named after him. At left, a street.
"Apart from street signs, billboard and street hawkers toting obama's face around I've also heard of voudoun [voodoo] ceremonies being held for Obama during the elections," Hugo says.
"Imagine if the Christian right had ever gotten wind of that!"
Bush, as I recall from being here previously, did not enjoy any such popularity, and for good reason. He dropped by Benin in 2008, but is said to have spent all of three hours in the country, never once leaving the airport.
- Blogger and Peace Corps Volunteer Kate Puzey Murdered in Benin
- BBtv WORLD: Elephant-blogging in Benin with Xeni (Africa) - Boing ...
- Ici Bon Coiffeur (Good Barber Here)
- Liberia's Blackboard Blogger
- Benin: Some Quick Stills From the Road (and the Water) - Boing Boing
- Coffin Shaped Like Taxi
- Xeni: on the road in West Africa for a few weeks. - Boing Boing
- BBtv World: Green tech and internet at the Songhai Center in Benin ...
- BBtv WORLD: Roots of Voudun and Slavery's Legacy in Ouidah (Africa ...