In February, opponents of REAL ID were given a bit of hope when Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said that she wanted to repeal the REAL ID Act, the federal government's failed plan to impose a national identification card through state driver's licenses. But what has taken place since is no return to sanity, as political machi nations have produced a cosmetic makeover called "PASS ID" that has revived the push for a national identification card.
The PASS ID Act (S. 1261) seeks to make many of the same ineffectual, dangerous changes the REAL ID Act attempted to impose. Fundamentally, PASS ID operates on the same flawed premise of REAL ID -- that requiring various "identity documents" (and storing that information in databases for later access) will magically make state drivers' licenses more legitimate, which will in turn improve national security.
PASS ID: REAL ID Reanimated (EFF Deep Links)
Some helpful background on REAL ID in the Wikipedia subject entry.
- Montana Governor explains why Real ID sucks
- California asks for Real ID extension, but won't promise to comply ...
- Real ID foes manage to block mandatory carding -- for now. -
- Boing Boing: Real ID passes in US Senate
- FAQ: How Real ID Act will affect you
- ONE MORE DAY to stop REAL ID and keep Big Brother out of the US ...
- Kill the national ID card: 48h remain