This year in New Orleans, Mardi Gras will be delightfully geekier, thanks to The new Krewe of Chewbacchus, open to science fiction costumes and contraptions. Instead of Mardi Gras beads, they'll be throwing wookie bandeleros.
The krewe will start at the Big Top, 1638 Clio St., and travel through the Central Business District on March 6 at around 6 p.m. Mad scientist pedicabs will carry the celebrity royalty. Brass bands playing funky renditions of science fiction theme songs ("The Imperial March" on tuba?) will set the pace.
Membership is open and all types of science fiction-themed costumes and contraptions are welcome. The march will be followed by Chewbacchanal block party later that night at the Big Top, with pyrotechnic puppetry and musical including Consortium of Genius, or C.O.G.
- Mardi Gras 1956: "Through my father's lens" (Boing Boing Video …
- New Orleans Mardi Gras photo gallery: Mar Doré – Boing Boing
- Mardi Gras, about 70 years ago, New Orleans LA. – Boing Boing
- Mardi Gras 2010: boy in "Creole Wild West Indians" parade Boing Boing
- Mardi Gras photos from 1956: "Cowboy and Belle," by John Mizenko …
- Mardi Gras: Big Chief Bo Dollis, Wild Magnolias and Wild Red …
- Mardi Gras: "What is Ya Ka May?" – Boing Boing
- The delightful Mardi Gras King Cake – Boing Boing