Europe's first three cases of the Wuhan coronavirus were confirmed in France confirmed on Friday. Two patients are hospitalized in Paris, and one in Bordeaux.
French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn [BMFTV interview] said during a Friday news conference that two cases, Europe's first, are confirmed. and that more cases were likely to occur in France.
And in a different announcement on Friday by the Health Ministry, the third case was announced. This patient is a relative of one of the earlier two diagnosed.
Excerpt from Reuters:
Earlier, the charity SOS Medecins said it had treated one of the cases, a patient of Chinese origin who was showing symptoms of a fever and who said he had been in contact with people from Wuhan in China, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak.
Buzyn said the patient was 48 years old and had returned two days ago from a trip to China which included a stop in Wuhan.
"He's been put in an isolated room so as to avoid any contact with the outside world. He's fine", she said.
In separate news, China's Hubei province today confirmed 15 ADDITIONAL deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus.
Read More at Reuters:
France confirms first three cases of coronavirus in Europe [January 24, 2020]
China reported 15 more deaths and 180 new cases of coronavirus, according to a statement from the health department of Hubei province, as the outbreak escalates.
The outbreak that began in Wuhan, capital of Hubei province, has prompted China to ramp up measures to contain the virus including suspending public transport in 10 cities, shutting temples over the Lunar New Year and closing part of the Great Wall.
Read More at Reuters: China's Hubei province confirms 15 more deaths due to coronavirus
RELATED at BOING BOING:
• Wuhan woman boasts about beating coronavirus check so she could fly to Paris for Michelin-star meal