Music Selections at the World-Famous Guantanamo Bay Beach Resort

14 Responses to “Music Selections at the World-Famous Guantanamo Bay Beach Resort”

1. nck wntrhltr says:

Strangely, executives also changed the title of another one of Spears’ more famous songs to “(Torture) Oops, I Did It Again”

2. Bonnie says:

This is what Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails said on his official blog — http://www.nin.com/ — about his music being used to torture detainees:

—-

12.11.08: Regarding NIN music used at Guantanamo Bay for torture

It’s difficult for me to imagine anything more profoundly insulting, demeaning and enraging than discovering music you’ve put your heart and soul into creating has been used for purposes of torture.

If there are any legal options that can be realistically taken they will be aggressively pursued, with any potential monetary gains donated to human rights charities.

Thank GOD this country has appeared to side with reason and we can put the Bush administration’s reign of power, greed, lawlessness and madness behind us.

Trent Reznor

3. Frank_in_Virginia says:

Don’t forget her Abu Ghraib Prison special “Get Naked (I Got A Plan)”

4. Andy Worthington says:

Hey, thanks for picking up on this, Xeni. The illustrated version is on my site: http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/12/15/a-history-of-music-torture-in-the-war-on-terror/

5. Birdseed says:

What on earth makes them think the detainees haven’t heard western rap and pop music? Even the most radical islamic extremist music tends to have a definite western influence.

6. kababok says:

“Psychological torture?” Just torture. Their hearing will be seriously damaged.

7. Uland says:

Oh my God… How disgusting. I’m starting to think that Western Pop Culture might actually be some kind of Satanic cancer on humanity…

8. Xeni Jardin says:

Thanks Andy — updated.

9. kaelsleeps says:

this turns my stomach. music can be so sacred, so fun…

10. zuzu says:

Thanks Ewen Cameron for giving us psychological torture. And thanks to the UK for honing its application (e.g. sensory deprivation) for use on their IRA suspects.

11. slappymcbutterpants says:

Why isn’t ASCAP suing them for royalites? This is not fair use!

12. nerdkiller says:

Nazi’s marched to Wagner, and the US tortures people with NIN and Barney. It’s all fair use.

If the artists don’t like it maybe they shouldn’t write such tortuous songs. I don’t see Fleetwood Mac on that list.

And Trent Reznor being insulted by this is ridiculous. Grow a pair.

13. Frank_in_Virginia says:

Oh the depths the US under GW Bush have fallen. Music, torture, what ever. Not in my name!

Does the RIAA get a cut?