32 Responses to “Guatemala: "El Efecto Streisand," Update on Twitter User Arrested For One Tweet On Political/Financial Crisis”

1. cory says:

@#11: sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that it wasn’t happening but rather that the government arrested this person for the explicit purpose of later releasing them, as a distraction. Basic authoritarian control technique: throw ‘em a bone. But first you need a bone to throw them.

And look, I was right.

2. airship says:

#26, please stop being a self-righteous ass. My comment is what’s known as ‘sarcasm’. Educate yourself.

Of course it’s worse in Guatemala than it is here. Duh. The point is this: if you don’t care about your rights, wherever you are, you are likely to lose them.

I guess I have to spell it out these days, as the general intelligence level of Interweb users seems to drop lower every single day. *sigh*

3. alexisbellido says:

I’m a good friend of many in Guatemala. A team of Prensa Libre, one of the most popular newspapers there, was at the trial with Manolo Guerrero, a very well known Mexican web developer in the region, and with Jean’s family.

Manolo has offered his Paypal account: manolo@manoloweb.net to help raise funds to get Jean out of jail and many in Latin America have started to contribute already. Use the title JEANFER on your Paypal payment if you wanna help.

A Guatemalan prison is a very dangerous place and Jean is just a regular guy expressing his views on the Net. He was very unlucky to be there just when a corrupt government was trying to cover all its dirty businesses. We have to help this guy to get out of jail and make sure this never happens again.

If any stupid government can take any Twitter user to jail then we better shut the fucking Internet down and become slaves for the rest of our lifes.

You can contact me to get you in touch with Prensa Libre, Manolo and Jean’s family if you need to validate the identity of this Paypal address.

Thanks for your support.

You know guys, I am close to someone in the middle of this mess, I would love for all this to not be happening and definitely do not agree with what the twitter user was posting, but damn, I’m going to fight for this right to post it.

– From Guatemala

I’m EXTREMELY angered by the fact newscasts (like Noticiero Guatevision, just a few minutes ago) are saying wrongly that Jeanfer was senging mass emails from a computer inciting people to withdraw money from this bank because it was bankrupt.

I REALLY hope he countersues for difamation when he gets out.

p.s.

they have arrested a man (Jose Encarnacion Leiva) for distributing copies of the Rosenberg video.
    What will it happen next? UGH.

local Guatevision has just confirmed that a street vendor has been arrested for “conspiracy” in the selling of the cds with audio of Rosenberg’s video

7. I2OI3 says:

I’m sorry but am I the only one who just doesn’t buy this story? Doesn’t anyone else think it could be possible that this is some elaborate hoax just made up to create even more buzz around Twitter?

#4
    You comment made me laugh. Everything would be simpler for us Guatemalan. We’re waiting for you to come to Guatemala and see it for yourself, mate. Things are FUCKED UP here.

I was tipped off this afternoon by some friends that told me that I could be next, because I have been sharing information about the whole situation in the country. It’s scary to know that your liberty is jeopardized by your freedom of speech (or lack thereof).

9. Takuan says:

no. it’s just you.

10. gnosis says:

Thanks for all the work gathering this, Xeni.

11. airship says:

If things get much worse in Guatemala, pretty soon its citizens will have as few rights left as we do in the USA.

12. axl456 says:

excelent work xeni on covering all this..

13. Antinous / Moderator says:

Step away from the computer (or other connected device.) Climb the stairs. Go outside. There’s a real world. Some of it sucks.

Next up: Apollo space program – viral marketing for Tang?

14. cory says:

What I’m scared of is that this kind of stuff is actually just a smokescreen, deliberately put up by the government to distract the populace from the fact that their dictator is a proven murderer who deserves a violent overthrow.

Look for the government to throw the population of Guatemala a bone by releasing this prisoner, proving their beneficence and allowing people to get the anger out of their system.

I know it’s easy for me to suggest a revolution in Guatemala from my armchair in America, but dammit if this situation doesn’t deserve one then what does.

If someone thinks this is not real. Just follow the hashtag #escandaloGT on twitter, follow the links there to independent news outlets, Google it, searh for guatemalan protest on you tube, you could see videos of the street protest that are happening

16. Takuan says:

not so long ago, actions have consequences.

I hope he gets off. The fear on his mother’s face in the picture is striking I can’t imagine what she’s going through. I wonder if this guy is going to dissapear shortly after being released :\

18. Johnny Cat says:

So appropriate that i watched Apocalypto again tonight. This makes me see the resemblances even more between that time and now.

That’s crazy about the arrests of DVD street vendors!!!

http://bit.ly/escandalogt for more on #escandalogt

20. alexisbellido says:

I can confirm the Paypal account I mentioned in the first comment is real, it has already received funds from many people, including me and many of my friends.

If you want to confirm details please email to Manolo Guerrero (manoloweb [at] gmail.com) and follow him in Twitter. He’s informing from Guatemala and is in touch with Jean’s family.

21. socialnerdia says:

Thanks for continuing to cover this story, and doing it so well!!!

We’ve been following #escandalogt closely since Monday and it is good to know that BoingBoing is staying on top of it as well.

Here is a blog post we wrote at Social Nerdia “Guatemalan Political Scandal Results in First Twitter Arrest and $6,500 Fine”

22. VICTOR JIMENEZ says:

I dont know what to say because there is too much to say…
    But I say: UNIDOS JAMAS SEREMOS VENCIDOS!!!

23. penelope says:

Yeah could have been worse, though. He could have been busted for driving a train without a license. Can that guy type?

24. gulo gulo says:

i’m actually really really happy boing boing is covering this so much, i’ve got some ties to this wonderful / fucked up country and it doesn’t come up enough in conversation. the united states did a ton to get it to the profoundly sad state it’s in today

25. ilan says:

I’m really really happy boing boing is covering this so much, i’ve got some ties to this excellent..

26. arkizzle says:

Can anyone officially confirm the paypal a/c in the first post as being a good place to send money to?

Xeni, got a better a/c for us to get money to Jeanfer?

27. nosehat says:

@ Arkizzle 22:

Ditto. Please confirm this and post?

28. Androide says:

Thanks Xeni and BoingBoing for the great coverage.

Cory is right, I’m afraid, in that these things are distractions, but they’re also intimidation tactics. They don’t want us talking and protesting against them.

@24: Fail.

As much as the US is slipping the past decade or 2, we are NOWHERE near as bad as Guatemala.

Please, educate yourself.

-jpw

30. arkizzle says:

Alexisbellido,

I can confirm that I am the Grand Poobah of the Internet, and so everyone is required to pay me $1 a day to peruse my tubes :)

If Xeni can confirm it, I’ll happily donate.