17 Responses to “French hackers unveil the HADOPI router: cracks nearby WiFi and makes your traffic traceable to your neighbors -- UPDATED”

1. teh_chris says:

sounds like the xnet from “little brother”

2. Zan says:

Just build in TOR tunneling, get this to run on commodity hardware like DD-WRT does, and you have the beginning of XNet.

Inspired by Randall Munroe ?

4. Salamalecs says:

Update : the so called “routeur Hadopi” is in fact HostileWRT, a mod of OpenWRT, and was developped before Hadopi law was voted.

The members of Tmp/lab called the article in Le Monde “full of bullshit” (sic), mentioning invented citations and imaginary people interviewed.

Source : Numerama.com (french)

5. failix says:

Yes! In your face Sarko (once again)!

6. DWittSF says:

Sarko’s enthusiasm is odd…unless perhaps the MAFIAA gave him Carla Bruni on the condition that he pass these laws.

#1 posted by murrayhenson, July 10, 2009 5:42 AM :
    FROM ” Or just leave your WiFi AP wide-open, no passwords or anything.”

(I’m french) I think the law consider it’s your responsability if you don’t have any security. I think you must at least use WEP encryption.

8. murrayhenson says:

Or just leave your WiFi AP wide-open, no passwords or anything. Change your MAC address every few days so, when and if, you’re busted…

The only way this wouldn’t work is if you live in a really WiFi-sparse neighborhood.

9. SkullHyphy says:

Although the accused may not have a hearing before getting access terminated, such cases could set the grounds for class action lawsuits on behalf of people who have been disconnected. I’m assuming France’s legal system is similar to the USA’s in this regard. Given their previous high court decision the law looks like it will be struck down again. I wonder if they can force the RIAA and MPAA to pay legal costs.

Also, I find it kind of sad that the entertainment industry’s forays into unfair legislation necessitate the production of things like the HADOPI router. Another good option, if the law is passed, is for people to accuse gov’t. officials who helped pass it and employees of the MPAA and RIAA of copyright infringement. Then they would be disconnected and understand how stupid and destructive this is.

10. fsck says:

ORLY?

From the blog post:
    “As an effort to try and show how absurd this law is in today’s world I put up a fake page (in French) selling the “Hadopi router” that automatically cracks passwords of the nearby Wifi networks and connects to them to download torrents.

It’s a dumb joke, but I think it does point out a little bit of the absurdity of the law :-) Comments and suggestions welcome!”

11. Salamalecs says:

@FSCK: you are both right and wrong.

The first HARDWARE “routeur Hadopi” was a joke.

But N. presented a SOFTWARE prototype of the “routeur Hadopi”.

“The expression was coined by bloggers who imagined the concept. We made it come true”, explained the Tmp/lab (a “hackers space” south of Paris) member.

The obvious solution is to quietly create a small publishing company and when the law is all settled and passed, collect a database of every French internet user and file three complaints against each in rapid succession thus closing down the entire French internet. I suppose the company might have to create three copyrighted works, but this is a pretty low bar to cross.

Since the law places no penalty on bogus filings and assumes that everyone is a criminal, why not take advantage of it?

13. Kaleberg says:

P.S. I apologize for a possible double posting. I’m so used to filling in captchas without thinking, that I forgot to login!

14. The Unusual Suspect says:

“(…) to create a veneer of plausible deniability for any accused: “Your honor, I must have been the victim of a neighbor with a HADOPI router.”

It’s my understanding that under the proposed law, the accused never gets to address a judge, so no defense is possible.

15. daev says:

It’s foolish crap like Sarko’s Law that will make electronic eavesdropping untenable. As more move to encrypted and obfuscated networks, legitimate surveillance (such a thing does exist) will become impossible. Ten years ago I thought the barnstorming days of the internet were coming to a close. I could not have been more wrong.

16. pinup57 says:

Only switch wifi on when you need it. Have good old cabled network access wherever you can (mostly you’re working at the same spot, no?). Better for your, and other’s, health too?