Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede, free download

13 Responses to “Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede, free download”

Unfortunately, this book and the movie will perpetuate the myth that Buddy Holly was some sort of uber nerd, which is certainly not true.
    He wore thick horn rims, as did r&b and jazz musicians of that period, but he was anything but a nerd. His image as a “nerd” is the result of some perfectly dreadful professional studio portraits (for example, the infamous “finger snapping pose”)

Bob Illingworth was a teenager in 1958, and an amateur photographer, and he snapped some excellent photos of Buddy onstage (as well as other rock n roll stars). His photos really capture the energy and excitement of Buddy & the Crickets performing.

Here they are:

2. AKMA says:

Looking forward to downloading these when the servers permit….

And as far as I can tell, it’s available for free here in many formats, including a 900k pdf:

4. Darren Garrison says:

I read that book long ago, and still have my deadtree copy, but I can’t actually remember anything about it.

Since the links seem to be pretty much overloaded, I checked my ebook collection and found an HTML copy. Let’s see how my free ISP=provided web space likes some traffic:

(This link is only temporary– my limited space is recycled often, so download it while you can.)

5. Sean Craven says:

Bradley Denton is a genuinely good writer. Like Avram Davidson or Howard Waldrop, he’s someone with the chops to be working mainstream or literary fiction but he’s associated with genre SF.

People, if you don’t take advantage of this you’re missing out.

6. jeffguevin says:

Sadly, it appears Mr. Denton’s site (and the Coral Cache mirrors) are toast. Any chance it can be posted to bittorrent, or at least an alternative mirror?

7. eggoeater says:

Any other mirrors? Even Coral cache is painfully slow.

8. jima says:

Found a copy at my local library! Hooray for old technology!

In case your webspace goes down, I uploaded it onto Scribd:

How timely. The book is being made into a movie with Jon Heder. This spontaneous act of generosity will no doubt enhance the movie’s visibility.

OMG I think I still own this book! I remember reading this when I was kid. I came across it while moving a few years back and read it again, and I think it deserves another go.

12. Raederle says:

Omigod, Cory Doctorow called me ‘An anonymous poster’. I’m *famous*.

Very much enjoying the book, too – thanks for introducing me!

13. J France says:

I’ve been rotting my eyes since I read the same post on the original article.

It’s compelling me to waste some trees and work toner… I mean, if i bind it and keep it its not a waste, right?

Until tomorrow morning I’ll be continuing to destroy my eyesight, regardless.