Gentlemen, start your slashfic engines. Yes, the theme of this DIY costume in Boing Boing's ongoing series is— Sexy Wikileaks.
Above, Philip Neustrom and friend Ron Baker last night at DNA Lounge in San Francisco. Philip, at left, is dressed as Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. Baker, at right, is Pfc. Bradley Manning, the soldier believed to have leaked secret documents to the whistleblower website (he is currently in military jail, awaiting trial.)
Too soon? Eh, not for me to say. These two figures are nothing if not folk heroes. But don't ask, don't tell indeed. Philip tells Boing Boing,
Some totally unrelated and somewhat-drunkely-typed backstory: When we were getting the Manning outfit supplies from a military surplus store in Berkeley, the guy ringing us up asked, "Hey, what are you dressing up as?"(thanks for the photo, @philipn and thanks for the heads up, @iamsusannah!)
We showed him a picture of Manning and gave a little explanation. He got it immediately and then told us this story, with the preface that we were probably "far too young to get it"--
So a few weeks back, an older woman walks into the store and says something like, "Do you folks have any goggles? My grandson is going to burning man.."
The guy helps her find some goggles, and as he's ringing her up he looks down at her credit card. "Ellsberg..any relation to Daniel Ellsberg?" "Oh..well, he's my husband!"
Not exactly the types I'd expect to be running a military surplus store. Regardless, the guy hooked us up and we got like $150 worth of stuff for $20!
- Open thread: your DIY Hallowe'en costumes?
- DIY Hallowe'en: "Nest" Mask
- DIY Hallowe'en: Robocop Kid Costume
- Homemade Hobbit Feet for Hallowe'en
- DIY Hallowe'en Costumes: Ghost Rider Johnny Angel
- DIY Hallowe'en: William Shakespeare
- DIY Hallowe'en: Minotaur
- DIY Hallowe'en: Edward Scissorhands
- DIY Hallowe'en: Mad Magazine Mascot Alfred E. Newman
- DIY Hallowe'en: Little Ewoks and AT-ST (Star Wars)
- DIY Hallowe'en: Swedish Chef
- DIY Hallowe'en: Astronaut
- DIY Hallowe'en: Bender
- DIY Halowe'en: Laika come home