18 Responses to “The creation of breathable chocolate, an excerpt from The Lab: Creativity and Culture, by David Edwards”

1. HealthStudent says:

I picked up the coffee version from Dylan’s Candy a few months ago. You don’t inhale it completely, it’s more like puffing a cigar. It was interesting to try, but I definitely wouldn’t buy it again.

If it’s coming from China, it’ll be full of lead. Everything China sends us contains lead.

The only way they wouldn’t send us lead, would be if the product was lead. Then they’d substitute a cheaper alternative.

3. rop says:

Ehm, sugar is the main ingredient of agar. Which is what is put in petri dishes to grow bacteria. So someone please enlighten me: how does this new silly marketing hype that boils down to “breathing powdered sugar” not induce bacterial and fungus growth in the lungs?

• Lobster says:

At least it’ll self-correct…

• SamSam says:

He says that “They would need to make the food particles small enough to get into the air, and large enough to avoid entry into the lungs under all conditions of breathing” and “even after designing the particles with a size to avoid the lungs…” so it sounds like it’s not supposed to enter the lungs.

Don’t know how that works, though. Maybe the idea is that they are heavy enough to fall to your tongue when you breathe in?

Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck is actually West of London in the village of Bray, near Maidenhead.

i tried this last year in paris, don’t remember the name of the gallery/place
    but i remember that it get half in the mouth, half in the lung.
    Hope they worked it out

Some thoughts on Le Whif from someone who’s tried it:

To me the chocolate was indistinguishable from powdered hot cocoa. If you puff like a cigar and don’t inhale, it’s a pleasant novelty. Perhaps to prevent coughing, there’s not much chocolate, so after one puff each Whif is just a useless bit of plastic.

Edward’s Lab is a (very successful) marketing group more than anything else.

7. voiceinthedistance says:

I prefer to cook my chocolate in a spoon, tie off, and slip it into a vein. Nothing quite like the sensation of that warm elixir heading for your right atrium.

So…hookah?

There is a reason we cough, solid particles don’t belong in our lungs. For all the time and effort that goes into this questionable product I have an even better one, a $1 bar of chocolate that you eat.

10. turn_self_off says:

At first i wondered if this was a step towards a concentrated meal (meal in a pill if you will), but now it seems that is all the taste with none of the mass. Sounds like something various corporations would love to sell with at slightly below the real deal, as long as the production costs are so low that they get a nice profit margin out of reduced raw material costs.

11. Teapunk says:

Great product for everyone with a diet obsession – get the taste, yet none of the calories!
    Yet for everyone else, I don’t see the point.
    Chocolate is something you eat for fun, it’s not really necessary, and at least half the fun of eating is feeling it melt on your tongue, allowing the taste to develop and fill your mouth. Given a choice of both, I’d still prefer the real thing.

12. dr says:

Chocolate, made in China, to be consumed in France. That sounds wrong. In any event, I would avoid the milk chocolate version.

I think I’ll just wait for freebase-able chocolate!
    Grobbbbbbbbb

14. slgalt says:

I was interested in trying this until I saw it was made in China. Until China decides to stop putting random deadly chemicals in stuff they make, I’ll pass.

• voiceinthedistance says:

sigalt-
      You seem to be dismissing the fact that melamine makes an excellent emulsifier for cacao powder.