Cosmonaut's Day in Moscow: Notes from Yuri Gagarin gala inside the Kremlin

20 Responses to “Cosmonaut's Day in Moscow: Notes from Yuri Gagarin gala inside the Kremlin”

1. LeFunk says:

“Banned from more space missions in case he was killed, Gagarin grew depressed and turned to alcohol, but did as he was told and helped train other cosmonauts at Moscow’s Star City. ”

Heroes who get the short end of the stick are all the more fondly remembered.

That photo of Anna Chapman looks like she is a chair, with her head stuck on the top and a guy sitting on her.

3. Antinous / Moderator says:

Oh, that’s why you haven’t responded to the obscene catLOLs.

4. Sequoia says:

Whenever I hear about cosmonauts I can’t help but think of this funny (and enjoyable) East German propaganda song about the space race which ruthlessly mocks the US program. The lyrics start out (approximately, I’ve changed a couple things to make it more understandable) “America stuffs apes in satellites/rockets, and fires them half-dead into space / Such treatment is, today, only fit for an ape, when man [imposes? himself] [into space?]* // For Pete’s sake, leave the poor chimps alone [USA] // and furthermore you need to learn one thing: In the space race, USSR is the victor.”

listen here for some sweet ass vibraphone action:

*not sure here, “imponiert das Raum” or something

• Luc says:

That song was more afwul than I expected! Auch! :)

“So etwas kann man heute nur noch Affen bieten,
      Denn einem Menschen imponiert das kaum.”,
      which could be translated as
      “One can only offer this to monkeys now,
      because humans are hardly impressed by it”.

I have always felt a duality of adoration and pity for Yuri Gagarin. His success made him the brand-name of Soviet Space-exploration and thus made him an untouchable for anything that would put his life at risk.
    He was a truly warm and caring person, who had no other desire than to push the frontier into the Cosmos.
    When deprived of the opportunities to further than cause by the ‘Nomenklatura’, he descended into depression and collapsed upon himself by means of alcohol.
    Personally, I think that his death in a simple training mission in 1968 was his personal final answer to his own misgivings.
    I still mourn the loss of this lovely and vibrant man and the promise that he had for all of us.

6. penguinchris says:

I recognize that Russia still has plenty of problems, but I can’t help but think that they’re awesome almost every time I see something from there. You’d never see something this cool (yes, it’s kitschy and cheesy) in the US for something like space travel. Russia has its priorities straight, for the most part, and still idolizes science and engineering.

Considering how far the US is headed down the tubes, every time I see something like this I feel like perhaps Russia “won” the cold war after all. Assuming Russia doesn’t slip too far back into soviet ways (they do already assassinate journalists and spy on everyone) I have no doubt they will re-emerge as the second biggest superpower, behind China of course, both of whom will be leaving the US in the dust.

• Fwrk says:

Russia still hasn’t put a man on the moon though…

If Russia does re-emerge as a competing global superpower (as opposed to a merely regional one) it wouldn’t be because they “respect” scientists and engineers more then the US, it would be purely on the back of Europe’s demand for cheap oil and gas. Any drastic change in demand for these could spell disaster for the Russian economy so dependent on flogging these.

For a country with so many billionaires, the Russians are remarkably good at making everything look cheap.

8. Luc says:

Even the Russians are photoshopping the big red CCCP letters on Gagarin’s helmet now (in the first picture)? Though I might be wrong – perhaps they made pictures with an all-white helmet, too.

• IronEdithKidd says:

Yet, they sure do still know how to throw a Soviet-style official State shindig.

I must say, the Kremlin theatre is far overdue for a facelift. It looks like it hasn’t been redecorated since Brezhnev first ascended to premier.

Xeni – can you name any of these “foreign” musical acts?

• teapot says:

Not so sure about that, dude.. there appears to be several different helmets depicted here (some with CCCP, some without).

@Xeni: Aspect ratio disaster on the main page – my eyes!
      Merry Gagarin day: http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1193/yurigagarinle.jpg

• Luc says:

As far as I can see, it’s always the same two pictures in which he doesn’t have CCCP on his helmet. It definitely looks like the producers of this show used one of these pictures (probably downloaded from the internet), so they probably didn’t do the photoshopping themselves like I suggested earlier.

So my guess now is that these were photoshopped by some Western news agency at the time, OR the Soviets had a glamour photo-shoot in which Gagarin wore a helmet without letters. If we could find the source material we’d know for sure (there must be an online archive, surely? The NASA image archive is pretty awesome in this respect).

• rebdav says:

I wonder how they will scrub Armstrong’s pictures in the future.

Gee, the only parts of Russia as far South (important for orbital reasons) as Kazakstan aren’t exactly the the most stable areas. I’m not sure you’d want to put that much expensive and vulnerable infrastructure in an area that is seething on the edge of armed revolution.

10. Drabula says:

“Lenin and Marx discredited” – not according to many of the Russians I meet living in England. They seem to prefer the “old ways” over the Mafia-state that exists now. Just sayin. Leave it to an American reporter to throw such a dig in whenever possible.

11. glassesbrother says:

We were the first to fly in space and have had a great number of achievements and must not lose our advantage.—-not me.