The Chronotune: Detroit hackerspace builds "time travel radio project"

18 Responses to “The Chronotune: Detroit hackerspace builds "time travel radio project"”

1. Zoman says:

Actually it’s interesting this came up because I’m looking for somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 322 Oakview, CA 93022. You’ll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

It’s weird how these things seem to happen almost simultaneously across the world. A few months ago, I built a time-travelling TV based on a massive collection of archive video, and when I showed it as part of the Curiosity Collective at the UK Maker Faire, our table was literally opposite a BBC project called the ‘Wayback Radio’!

See more on these projects at http://cefn.com/blog/maker_faire_2011.html and http://custard-cat.blogspot.com/2011/03/wayback-machine-visits-maker-faire.html

3. Zaren says:

Not to be confused with the Chronofax (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxyw_8xkzQ)

4. holtt says:

OK so brilliant in the sense of, “This is brilliant concept and I love that someone came up with it” then :)

Someone could do a virtual version of this with the archive.org wayback machine for websites.

A web-enabled version could pull random audio files from the Internet Archive’s sound recording library for the appropriate time

6. MacBookHeir says:

I’m not a fan, but isn’t the whole “Dr Who” TV series built around a concept like this – except it’s a telephone booth that time travels rather than a “Chronotune”?

7. JimmerSD says:

The problem with this design is that it will be obsolete tomorrow, the dial doesn’t go there.

• kc8nod says:

On the contrary! The dial does indeed go into the future. There is a news broadcast from the robot uprising, a snippet of the floor show from Milliway’s and a reasonable facsimile of the sound of the Big Crunch.

Oh, that’s the tops! It’ll go great with the Chronovisor(TM) I picked up on my holiday to Italy.

9. wrybread says:

Well if its powered by an Arduino, it MUST be leet!

Ok I admit it, I’m just jealous. Awesome idea, awesome execution, even awesome video. Damn you!

10. holtt says:

Brilliant!

PS
    I wish BB posts had a simple clickable feedback mechanisms like the Facebook “Like” feature, but expanded out a bit. Think like “Unicorn Chaser Please”, “Brilliant”, “Like”, “Dislike”, “Meh”, “Cute”, etc.

• kmoser says:

Neat, but the video should have highlighted more of the actual specs: total number of audio clips, average clip duration, total clip duration; also, when you tune to a given year, does it always play the same clip or does it pick from a selection of clips for that year?

• Anonymous says:

kmoser: Not to sound too disparaging, but it’s pretty pointless to ask for the sort of details you are asking for in your first sentence, as they are all dependent upon undeterminate factors. All of those details are defined by the size of the storage media, and the length and bitrate of the clips themselves. I would imagine it is rather trivial to modify and add more clips to the media.