DSLR controller app for Android

15 Responses to “DSLR controller app for Android”

1. mccrum says:

This would be really helpful as a very, very cheap second monitor for the director when shooting video.  However, one would like the controls to be locked out for such things…

2. david king says:

no it wouldn’t, plugging the usb cable in disables the view on the camera. it’s useful for situations where you can not see the screen easily (high tripod etc) but if it’s just to view rather than control, you can get a chinese-made LCD display for about £20 on ebay, also connects via usb.

• mccrum says:

Really?  I just look at the back and never did anything with the USB plug, I’m not sure that I’m thrilled to learn about this.  Can you run a splitter off the feed and get two mini monitors from the one USB?

• Do you have a link to such on eBay. Had a quick look and anything that I could spot was coming in around the £290 mark?

3. digi_owl says:

interesting choice of example image.

4. Jens Jørgensen says:

As an architecture student, this is gonna save my balls when taking photos in tiny models. WUUUUP!!!

5. irksome says:

And is this app specifically designed for under-age lingerie models?

‘Cuz that’s probably not a good thing.

6. I know from experience that the mini usb port on the Canon 5D mark II is not rugged enough for field use. It’s really just meant for plugging in a cable at your desk. Using it to run an external monitor – even one that is securely fixed above the camera by a cine arm – will result in the connection eventually becoming loose, at which point the signal comes and goes seemingly at random. Even taping it in place won’t help the matter.

Had this happen with two 5D’s, so I’m assuming it’s universal.

7. citykids says:

I’ve seen other hacks for Canon firmware and now I see this app, oh won’t someone develop these types of goodies for us Nikon owners!

8. Joergen Geerds says:

1. The USB port on the 5dm2 is rugged enough, especially if you are using a angled USB cable, like for cell phones. I am plugging my promote controller into the USB port for years now (in the field), and no problem.
    2. the USB port doesn’t carry the video signal by default, to get the live view feed, the proper USB commands need to be send, and the software at the USB host needs to properly display it (usually a laptop). there is no $20 chinese thingy that can do this. you can get the video feed from the AV port, or the HDMI port and display it on a cheap monitor ($50), but you have no control over the camera functions that way.
    3. while the android app works with a large range of canon cameras (no surprise, they all use the same ptp), it works only with a VERY SMALL NUMBER of android devices, namely those who allow to use the phone as a USB host device.

9. Samuel Penn says:

Another reason why Google should have left the return policy at 24hours. It’s a beta product, that might not work with my camera, and might not be of any use when trying to focus on fiddly little stars through a telescope (which would be my main reason for buying it).

Anyone tried it with a Canon 1000D, or for astrophotography?

10. Ray Perkins says:

Wonder if this was built on the back of CHDK software?

• Joergen Geerds says:

no, it was build upon the USB host protocol and the Canon SDK. The camera remains completely unmodified.