Dalek dress documented

Somevelvetmorning made a beautiful Dalek dress and uploaded her work-in-progress photos to Imgur. Perhaps they can serve as a guide to your own dalekwear efforts. Also: matching hat!

Dalek Dress (via Wil Wheaton)



  1. I am disappointed. I wanted a dress for Daleks. A nice summer frock, perhaps, to bring out their feminine side.

  2. This is superb. Usually these posts, “X that looks like R2D2/tricorder/Bender” are completely impractical and reinforce geeky isolation, but this would really work. It is faithful to the original, yet still a regular dress. 

    It has a beautifully 1950s look (I bet a fashion student who had never seen a dalek could identify the retro British war helmet, horizontal stripes and long polka dot dress), so would be perfectly complemented if the lady held a sink plunger and egg whisk.

    Normally I just smile and roll my eyes at these things, but Somevelvetmorning has created something wonderful. The best tribute object I have ever seen.

    EDIT: a genuine 1930s variant: http://ladyjojosboutique.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/1936trasvisbantoncouture.jpg

  3. I made the hat. British WW2 1944 Pattern Turtle Mark IV Steel Helmet, with a common “Headlamp” strapped on the front over a $10 alien voice changer with extended LED wires to blinky voice indicators, made from lightly sanded plastic shot glasses, dremelled for installation on the rubber headlamp strap. Voice changer microphone headset nested under/inside/through the helmet’s internal support rig. Fully independent unit for ease, comfort, and utility.

    1.  Nice, but I think it could still benefit from adding a proper ray gun.
      Mounting a plunger on one breast and an egg whisk on the other would probably be going too far, though.

  4. Somevelvetmorning here,

    @EntertheStory is correct:
    @boingboing-9ff32fa785aef7b3ede67ed7e7823734:disqus , I used the Butterick B5603 pattern with a few modifications:

    1) Used view A minus the bows, and subbed black satin for the bodice.
    2) I Cut 3″ strips of the dress material (verticals matched grain of skirt, horizontals against), folded in half lengthwise and pressed, sewed, turned inside out
    and sewed to the bodice top as shown before sewing front and backs
    3) Added black satin on the hem after finishing the skirt (used pattern and compass to create pattern)
    4) Ironed on fusible interfacing in strips to the underside of the skirt to give the bumps some structured fabric for attaching to.
    5) Full crinoline shown under dress
    6) Bumps are made from those kid’s toy balls used in the jumping
    pits, cut in half and spray painted to match the dress color.  Each was sewn on with 3 individual embroidery floss stitches
    ** Note:
    Battle tested this dress and ended up scraping the
    paint off some of the bumps – recommend dual coating/primering and battle testing your 
    paint before wearing.

    1. “Butterick B5603″ sounds like it should be a Dalek blueprint in it’s own right…

    2. I love the fit of this one!  I made something similar a couple years ago.  
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/67533_445798023459_514038459_5346467_1518719_n.jpgMy “balls” are spray-painted Nerf balls.  I wanted to be able to sit down without having hard lumps under my butt.  My pattern was Butterick 4790, the “Walkaway dress”.

      I think I need to get that B6503.  You’re probably the 4th person I’ve seen whose made an incredible dress with it.

Comments are closed.