History of the Animaniacs

16 Responses to “History of the Animaniacs”

1. ZombieOtaku says:

What’s tragic is that so many kids today have no idea who the Animaniacs are.

2. One thing that the article neglected to mention was that Animaniacs was one of the first television shows to directly address its small yet notoriously nit-picky Internet-based fan community with the short “The Please Please Please Get A Life Foundation”:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ6dFwh8a4&t=0m28s

3. Lexicat says:

I could have sworn there was a line or two from P&tB (I think) that went:

the Brain: Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

Pinky: I think so. But where are we going to find gerbils and a cardboard tube at this time of night?

But mayhap that’s just me . . .

4. Shay Guy says:

No “The.” Just “Animaniacs.”

5. Mister44 says:

I LOVE the Animaniacs. One of the bets cartoons ever. WHY isn’t it on boomerang or something?

One time my mom found a photo signed by all 3 voice actors at a garage sale. Go mom!

6. Stefan Jones says:

I was a little kid in the 60s, and a tween and teen in the 70s.

These times produced a lot of Fondly Remembered Favorites of animation, like The Flintstones and The Jetsons, and iconoclastic witty classics like Rocky & Bullwinkle. These things loom large in the history of TV toons. And while they may deserve their props . . .

. . . ya know, the best TV animated shows of the 90s — Batman, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons and to a lesser extent oddballs like Earthworm Jim and Freakazoid — were frigging amazing.  Even stodgy old Hanna-Barbara started to go artsy and sometimes a little bit raunchy.

The actual animation may not have been great. But the characters and music and stories and dialog were just wonderful. I think we owe this to a generational shift.

7. Brett Canavan says:

I am a child of the 60′s and still believe that cartoons had a resurgence of quality in the late 80′s & 90′s.  Shows like this are the reason why.

“I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?”

Narf!

8. beemoh says:

I would assume that these are the facts?

9. Phlip says:

I know Yakko’s below the fold, but above it you’ve illustrated Wakko with Yakko.

10. Jess (the voice of Wacko) has a mashup band called Rock Sugar.  His Steve Perry impersonation is incredible.

11. pupdog says:

I have 2 Animaniacs albums on my iPod, and randomly one of those fantastic songs will pop up. Last summer I pulled up at a stoplight with my windows down, probably playing the stereo a little loud. ‘Yakko’s World’ came on, and I heard singing that wasn’t coming from my car – the car next to me was all singing along. Loved that moment…