Zelda fire for your decorative fireplace

15 Responses to “Zelda fire for your decorative fireplace”

1. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

How many pots will I have to smash to find the rupees for that?

2. Considering someone else designed the sprite, and he’s essentially doing a paint-by-numbers on a simple grid layout, that seems redonk steep.

Also, link says $150, not $110. Even at $110, cuckoo bananas expensive.

• davidmang says:

Seriously. The sheet metal and the paint will run you maybe $40 at most. Just make your own.

• Terry Border says:

Guy had an idea no one else had and dared trying to make some non-minimum wage cash with it. I don’t see the problem.  On top of that, saying you can do it and actually doing it is not something that happens very often.

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

But if we can’t obtain quirky, unique, artisanal works on the same terms that can be secured from a pacific-rim drop ship shop, why bother?

• Glen Able says:

Maybe easiest just to print out the image.  I need to see if there’s a decent hi-res version of it somewhere…

• giantasterisk says:

What you’re probably ignoring is just how long it would take to paint all those perfect squares. You could try masking them off, but even that takes time (it’s hard to get them just so) and every edge would still need to be cleaned up afterwards. So if you take the $150 he’s asking for, subtract your estimated $40 for sheet metal and paint, subtract in a few more dollars for brushes and tape ($5, let’s say, though on sheet metal he may used a paint gun) and how much large a cut will go to Uncle Sam (at least 1/3), you’re looking at about $70 that he gets to keep. Maybe I’m not very clever, but I can’t figure out how I’d paint that in any less than 3 hours. So, $23/hr. Guess if he paints 8 hr/day, seven days a week it’s a decent gig, but somehow I doubt it.

• davidmang says:

You’re right! I didn’t consider this.

However, you could just giclee print directly to canvas. It’s not too difficult with the proper equipment and would utterly annihilate the time expenditure.

• jackbird says:

…but it goes in a fireplace.  Not a use case canvas is often recommended for.

3. Jay Converse says:

+1.  It better not appear on Regretsy.

4. Egypt Urnash says:

This would be nine times more awesome if the “fireplace” actually animated. I’m thinking square titles with microprocessor-controlled LEDs behind them, it’s really just a small matter of Arduino.

And probably a few hundred bucks more if it’s handmade of course.

5. technogeekagain says:

I’d rather install a flatscreen into the fireplace. Or, more likely, build a fake fireplace enclosure around a flatscreen.

6. oasisob1 says:

I’d rather just light a fire in my fireplace. :-) But it’s cool.

7. SoItBegins says:

It’s a faux fire? So Link must use Firefox!

8. Kevin Schmidt says:

Seems like perhaps a simpler DIY solution could be to paint a bunch of wood cubes & glue them together.  No need to mask off the canvas or fit perfectly to size :)