28 Responses to “Newark Airport security supervisor assumed murdered man's identity for 2 decades”

1. penguinchris says:

Pretty clever. Don Draper anyone?

I bet he’s a hard, honest worker, and he’s being used as a scapegoat – more security theater from the TSA to excuse their handling of “security breaches” at the airport, and he’s an easy target rather than investigating who’s actually responsible for security problems.

They’ll say he was a major security risk since he could have been blackmailed – exploiting illegal immigrants with the threat of deportation is despicable, but happens all the time. Says he was discovered via anonymous tip, so if he failed to keep his secret for whatever reason, I guess I can’t sympathize too much.

• JonS says:

“They’ll say he was a major security risk”
      Induitably, but given that he worked there, in a security role, for two /decades/ ‘they’ would be wrong.

This is an interesting case that, I think, talks directly to the folly of trying to associate security with identity. Presumably Oyewole fulfilled his job functions at least good enough. Given that, does it matter who he really was?

And, to extend that more generally, why does it matter who any of us are, when we travel?

• Avram Grumer says:

Yeah, reading the article I was hoping he’d turn out to be named Dick Whitman.

• BarBarSeven says:

I prefer to call these types “Armin Tamzarian”s.

• CLamb says:

The man has demonstrated he is willing to lie, cheat, and steal an identity for his personal gain.  Those are reasons enough.

2. voiceinthedistance says:

Seems like a lot of effort to get rid of the name Bimbo, IMO.

3. voiceinthedistance says:

Seems like a lot of effort to get rid of the name Bimbo, IMO.

4. zombiebob says:

Dear god, I feel bad for nigerians, all we ever read about regarding them are their brethren who are up to no good in one way or another. But on occassion, a virtuous one makes herself known. Why, the other day I received an email from Sister Nania jibofwekwe of the  Our Holy God of God Orphanage, asking me to reclaim a red tape tied inheritance on her behalf, all to benefit the Children! Such selflessness!

5. noah django says:

TSA, putting the “S” in security since…  never.

6. Giuseppe says:

I totally trust these guys to vanguard our nation’s security when shit like this can happen.  I mean honestly, you’re telling me people have been harassed by the TSA over the past decade, and they  can’t even figure out if the guy running one of their branches is an imposter?

People are talking about the fact that this guy obviously performed his job functions well enough, and that’s true, but to me that just says the TSA got lucky.  He could have been ANYBODY.

• Jake0748 says:

Yeah, he could have been just another dumbass goon, who had no clue and didn’t give a shit.  Here’s hoping the tsa gets REALLY lucky and is flushed down the toilet.

• JonS says:

” … this guy obviously performed his job functions well enough, and that’s true, but to me that just says the TSA got lucky.”

No, that’s not lucky. Not at all. That’s /normal/.

Abnormal, and unlucky, is the nonsense that the TSA have been inflicting on the public in the US and – as a result of diplomatic shenanigans – around the world this last decade.

• LinkMan says:

This guy was a private airport security contractor, not a TSA employee.    The TSA still sucks, though. Make no mistake.

7. Giuseppe says:

8. bryan rasmussen says:

anyway I don’t think he lived a double life, did he? I was expecting that he worked as a security guy during the day but at night he doubled as the murdered guy while dealing drugs at a singles bar.

9. Guest says:

Apparently 9/11 did not actually change everything.

10. Well if no body else was using it…

11. Agent Smith says:

Everybody bitches about government waste. So, we didn’t let this go to waste.

12. Navin_Johnson says:

He was PRIVATE security, which is exactly what so many of this rabid anti-government, libertarian leaning mob of commenters has been screeching for.

So there you have it guys.  Your private security in action!

said Oyewole entered the United States illegally in 1989 and had worked under several contractors at the airport, most recently FJC Security Services, and supervised about 30 guards. The agency said its investigation found no indication that he used the fake identity for any reason other than to live in the United States.

Now everybody will quietly skulk off until they can repeat their hysterics the next time some TSA person inflicts some holocaust-level indignity on some middle class person…

• JonS says:

Um … the (rational) call isn’t for private security goons to replace the TSA goons. It’s for *all* the goons to GTFO and return to minimalist pre-9/11 screening, and secure cockpit doors.

• elix says:

Clearly, that’s the rational response. However, Navin was specifically pointing out that this is the response of rabid anti-government libertarian-leaning gaggle of Internet dipwads and the fact that they’re getting what they want, since the gentleman in the story was responsible for managing the private guards staffing the TSA checkpoints there. And the fact that this guy had pulled this off for 20 years.