Chuck Brown, godfather of Go-Go music, dies at 75

10 Responses to “Chuck Brown, godfather of Go-Go music, dies at 75”

1. ChuckieJesus says:

I grew up in Anacostia in the late ’70s and early ’80s.  I am no longer in DC, and haven’t been for all my adult life.  Hearing this news is sad as hell.  If I were to come back to a DC without a living Chuck Brown, it wouldn’t be the same.

“Whatever you do, big or small, do it well, or don’t do it at all. Sho ya right.”

2. Tennnfan says:

I went to George Washington University in the late 90s, and the culture there is pretty disconnected from the city of Washington itself (not the federal world, but the actual place where people actually live). We had a shuttle service that would run around campus at night, though, and it was a sure bet that the drivers would blast the hell out of whatever go-go show was on the radio. As soon as I heard it, I fell in love. I’ve always been grateful to those drivers for inadvertently exposing us kids who thought D.C. stopped at the Capitol and Georgetown to a taste of what makes the District such a good place. Rest well, Chuck.

3. SaumyaShrivastava says:

Tribute to a true musician!
    The Godfather of Go-Go Performing Live a few months back at Fur Nightclub in Washington DC.  Rest in peace to the godfather of gogo. And rock & roll.

4. zachn says:

I don’t know why, but this has hit me harder than I would have expected. Maybe, like others posting here, having grown up in the DC area I feel a special connection to Go-Go Music. It’s always felt like I’m in on some sort of secret that somehow never got out nor played out. I have fond memories of listening to Chuck, Rare Essence, and the Huckabucks late night on PGC. Good memories. RIP Chuck!

5. einsteinatthemall says:

Go Go  music as an underground force was soon co-opted by mega artists such as Prince. If anyone created Go Go, it was superlative session drummer Bernard Purdie with his trademark snare snaps and fills in the 60s and 1970s. I’m proud to say I saw Chuck Brown just passed his prime. He had the crowd dancing

6. John Maple says:

I lived in DC for a while too and remember the Go-go scene too so when I think of Go-go, I have to think of Chuck Brown.  Memories . . .

7. Over the River says:

His Tiny Desk concert @NPR

Set List:

“Senorita”
    “Chuck Baby”
    “Wind Me Up!” / “Bustin’ Loose”
    “Run Joe” / “It Don’t Mean A Thing”

Enjoy:

8. Nash Rambler says:

Xeni, I grew up in NoVa and lived on a steady diet of Chuck Brown, E.U., Bad Brains and All Mighty Senators.  I had heard that he was in Johns Hopkins (I live outside Baltimore now), but never really wanted to believe he was that sick.  Etta James, Don Cornelius, Earl Scruggs, Levon Helm, MCA and now Chuck Brown. . .this year is being really hard on my world of music.  So long Chuck, I’ll always admire you for your talent, your sound, and your devotion to the fans.

9. Kevin K says:

I grew up in Annapolis in the 80s, and it seems that the Go-Go beat never ended (really, never) at my high school. I didn’t appreciate it until moving away, and realizing I missed the sound.  And nobody anywhere else I lived had any idea what I was talking about!

A few years back, I went home for the holidays, and Chuck was playing a show in town. I got the LAST TICKET by pure chance, and got a shout-out at the show (I’d come back all the way from San Francisco). I’m glad I got to see him, and talk briefly with him after the show. By that point, seeing Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers had been on my “to-do” list for years.  Was it the best concert I’d ever been to? No. But it was one of the most enjoyable, and memorable.

Here’s hoping Chuck is winding ‘em up, up in heaven.