27 Responses to “Open Goldberg Variations: free, open source recording and modern score of classical masterpiece”

1. You may note that Variation 8 is missing from the SoundCloud widget for the time being. Ironic as it seems, that track was flagged for copyright violation against Sony Music. They make it hard putting stuff into the public domain! The track will be available as soon as it works its way through SoundCloud’s review process.

2. Paul Renault says:

From the sample I’ve listened to so far,  she a softer touch and plays a little faster, and a little less choppy than Glenn Gould’s version – which I adore. Hers might be closer to the sound that the clavier would make.

I’ll be listening to this later today – I hope to be able to enjoy it as much.

It’s astounding to think that the Goldberg Variations were once considered too obscure, too intellectual to appeal to the masses.

• We’re hoping that people will write honest and thoughtful reviews of the recording. Anybody who does so gets a double CD mailed to them =) http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org/review-open-goldberg-variations-and-get-double-cd-free

3. thaum says:

So far nothing beats the Gould ’81, but I’ll take a listen…

• 10xor01 says:

“It may not be a Glenn Gould performance…but I’d say it’s ‘Good as Gould’”

- The Simpsons, Season 12, Episode 9

4. drukqs says:

I have to admit, I never really understood the typesetting aspect of this project. Why reinvent the wheel when there are already numerous perfectly acceptable public domain scores available at IMSLP?  If it’s about re-engraving it, there’s already been a lilypond version of the score at mutopiaproject.org since 2007. Given the glaring mistakes in the score on a cursory glance, it can’t be about crowdsourcing the editing and layout.

• Please let us know what mistakes you find. They’ll be corrected (one advantage over the IMSLP PDFs that are available). The digital score lets you do things like embed it in websites, and create score following programs that listen along and highlight the music. We’ll be demonstrating the score following aspect at the Classical:NEXT conference this week: http://www.classicalnext.com/program/showcases/live_showcases

• Nick Mailer says:

It is not just another electronic copy of the score. It’s a digital, mungible score. Effectively, a “source” has been created so that it can be used for much more than just a PDF “engraving”.

And instead of an empty acid barb, how about helping to fix these “glaring” mistakes?

• drukqs says:

Nick, I feel it’s a legitimate criticism. I understand what is trying to be accomplished, and noted that it already exists in code form, here, freely available and editable, for instance:

Mind you, lilypond lacks the front-end polish of musescore’s software, but at least ideologically, both typesetting projects appear to be treading the same waters.

As to your complaint of my empty acid barb, I would draw a comparison between the typesetting aspect of this project and wikipedia. If errors exist, I reserve the right to point them out as I see it, caveat: IMHO; I signed up for wikipedia and am totally willing to make edits there, but I never signed up for this project.

If Robert is still following this thread, perhaps he could shed some light on the editing process, and if it done in a wikipedia-like style.

• Unfortunately, general browser support for editing music notation is non-existant. I complained about this recently in the International Arts Manager: http://internationalartsmanager.com/news.php?id=706 Thus the editing is done with the MuseScore desktop app. The online version can be annotated, however, so mistakes can be noted in the context of the score itself.

• Aurvondel says:

Even better than a modern score are scans of the original publication with Bach’s own corrections, available at IMSLP, which are clean enough to play from (though with an occasional c3 clef, something modern keyboardists rarely deal with).

5. range says:

Reading through the project’s notes on kickstarter and the website, I got the notion that the project wanted to donate a high quality recording of the Goldberg Variations to the public domain. If that is right, then I wonder why the project offers the files as 128kbit/s mp3s instead of using a format which can be used for archival *and* transformation into other digital formats, like flac or Apple’s lossless audio format. If you’re scared about the amount of data which has to be downloaded: I am sure that someone will be able to upload a torrent of this – and the Internet Archive might also be interested in a copy :)

If the audio CDs were under the same license, someone sooner or later *will* put them on “the internet” in a lossless version anyway – if that hasn’t happened already …

EDIT: I guess I forgot to the thank the project for doing what they did – and their backers on kickstart. If the above sounded a bit negative – it wasn’t meant like that, I was just wondering why the use of a great recording studio and a great grand piano and then only 128kbit/s mp3s :)

• Nick Mailer says:

The CDs are released under the same licence, yes. And, indeed, I’m sure I noticed FLAC and other options available earlier. Perhaps there are temporary bandwidth constraints :-) I’m sure they’ll return.

• I had to request the FLAC version be remade, it had a glitch in it. They’ll be posted within the next days. And yes – I’m the one who will be uploading the torrents of them =) The goal here is to make the recording – also in lossless quality – available to everybody.

6. Summer Seale says:

Thank you soooo much! This is one of my favorite pieces of music ever. I have the Gould Variations, of course, but this one is a welcome addition to my collection as well. =)

7. Can we get some open source Glenn Gould humming?

• vintermann says:

Who wants to bet that a track of moaning and off-key humming will be the first derivative work of this release?

8. Brett Jordan says:

if you want itunes cover art, i’ve prepared a version up to 2048 x 2048 pixels

9. Guillaume Francois says:

I would like to praise Gustav Leonhardt’s recordings.

10. ecologist says:

The open source concept is nice, the music is beautiful, but OMG, that room!!!

11. felsby says:

please, an ALAC version. FLAC and iTunes means work :-(

12. Aurvondel says:

In any given year these days, three or four or more recordings of the Goldberg Variations get released. A couple will be performed on harpsichord, most of the others on piano. Occasionally, a clavichord or organ or string quartet version will sneak in. There are dozens of recordings to choose from, in the last 40 years. It’s really hard to get excited about an “open source” one.

There is vast, vast amounts of really interesting keyboard music out there, unrecorded–heck, vast amounts that exist in no modern typeset editions, unlike the Goldberg pieces which have been engraved and typeset and otherwise published many many times.

• vintermann says:

I did get the “almost” open source one from Magnatune by the Harpsichord builder Janine Johnson, and I already had a version by Blandine Verlet and a notorious one by Glenn Gould, and I’m still quite excited about this. Mostly because of what it may herald, of course – I’m still waiting for Musopen’s project, it should be delivered real soon now (it was supposed to be delivered real soon for a long time, but unless Aaron Dunn has been outright lying in his status updates – and I don’t think so! – it can’t be much longer now).A more important objection to this project, I think, is that there already was an excellent open source typeset version of the score, made with Lilypond and posted to Mutopia. So that seemed a little duplication of effort.

• There was indeed already a Lilypond version of the score, but we all missed a version in the open standard MusicXML. Now you can open the Goldberg Variations in any notation software that supports MusicXML. Want to add fingerings to the score, print it differently, … now you can with any software. It’s truly open source now.