8 Responses to “Zita the Space Girl: delightful kids' science fiction comic that's part Vaughn Bode, part Mos Eisley Cantina”

1. Mordicai says:

I <3 these books.  The Mos Eisley comparison is apt; the background action in these books is just as interesting as the narrative in the foreground.

2. Chesterfield says:

Ordered! I think my daughters (10 and 11) will really enjoy a book like this. I would love more recommendations for kids in that age group. When they pick out books for themselves, they always pick novels (although they do like Diary of a Wimpy Kid).

3. My 5 year old daughter absolutely loves Zita and has been impatiently waiting for the sequel (she asks “can’t you just email him and tell him I want to read more?”)

@chesterfield – for something of a similar age group try the Amulet comics, another favorite of my daughter.

• Chesterfield says:

I ordered “Rapunzel’s Revenge” and “The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook” based on a recommendation in the comments of the Zita book.

4. Rebecca Wald says:

My 7-year-old is completely in love with Zita the Spacegirl – we’re counting down the days to September at our house. I like that the series features a girl as the main character without (Brave, I’m looking at you) making a big deal out of “Hey! Look, it’s a GIRL doing this!” My daughter adores the team of sidekicks, who add a lot of the comic relief and increase the cuteness quotient.

For those looking for more graphic novels with strong girl characters:
    Rapunzel’s Revenge
    Amulet
    The Elsewhere Chronicles

…have all been popular at our house.

5. Allan McCoy says:

FWIW, http://zitaspacegirl.com/

The site includes some sample “webcomics”. Worth a look, though it hasn’t been much updated in years (yes, I originally found it more than 2 years ago…)

6. James Penrose says:

I sort of went cross-eyed at linking Bode and a kid’s comic until I saw it.  Looks like a very good thing to give to young girls (and boy kids too)

7. Bob Berry says:

Sounds like a great book,  another is A Haunting at Richelieu High,  it is an illustrated novel,  perfect for this age group.