Fables 17: Inherit the Wind

10 Responses to “Fables 17: Inherit the Wind

1. Boundegar says:

I love these books!  Where else would you find a character named Pathetic Fallacy?

2. lakelady says:

Ahhhh I love irony when I wake up in the morning. “Inherit the Wind”, a classic play about the Scopes monkey trial, is now a book that’s a fable. Fabulous.

3. abstract_reg says:

Does anyone know if there is a place to buy Fables merch? I would love a Boy Blue t-shirt.

4. Daneel says:

Sounds good! So it’s a return to form after Fables 16: Super Team? I love the series but that one lef t me a little cold.

5. Ashley Coats says:

I loved these comics at first but got quite bored around book 10 and was ready for an ending.

6. pjcamp says:

So which one is Colonel Potter?

7. Nikhil Joshi says:

I refuse to buy any more Fables books until it is finished…. I feel like some authors find a cash cow and continue to milk it, way past the expiration date.  Anyways, wake me up when it is over and then I will read them.

8. Mark Hewitt says:

I love those books, been reading from near the beginning. Nearly quit when he had Bigby go off on his weird, out of place and incredibly unsubtle pro-Israel rant, but it seems like that was a one-off and I guess sometimes you just have to separate an author’s work from his beliefs (see also Cerebus ^_^ )

• Tynam says:

I didn’t actually get much sense that Bigby was pro-Israel as a nation from that scene, just that he was really impressed with their tactics, which is fairly in character.  Bigby used to be… well… Big B.  I think any small [nation/person] surviving against hostile [other nations/personal enemies] by being really aggressive would impress him.

(I’m not saying the author’s opinions didn’t leak through here, just that it didn’t jolt me towards quitting nearly as much as the over-meta author/writing separation of the back half of Jack.)

9. bunnyvision says:

I lost interest in this series a while ago.  The first few paperbacks were pretty good, but the series got bland and went into a decline pretty quickly. I feel like the tone of the series changed from “flawed and sometimes murderous and hateful fairy tales barely cling onto a borrowed existence” to “these fairy tale characters are all unstoppable superheroes all the time”. Not to mention the terrible Israel allegory. And the racism against Arabs. And the godawful crossover. And the pointless section where they were actually literal costumed heroes for some reason.

I’m going too far into it. The real problem is that once upon a time Fables promised to be something different. It’s just a superhero comic book with a coat of paint.