19 Responses to “Mars Curiosity rover's landing: A video by one of her 3,000+ creators at NASA JPL”

1. Grahamers2002 says:

I teared up.

2. This is great. Well edited too.

The reference to his mother’s battle with ALS got me, like it always does.

3. Mitchell Glaser says:

Could he be any cuter? I don’t think so.

4. vonbobo says:

Nice video.

I have been meaning to ask though… why has so much attention been paid to Curiosity? What is causing so much media coverage?
    Is it because the US doesn’t have a full time space vehicle right now?
    JPL pushing more general public news?
    Olympic fever?

• franko says:

i think it’s partly because NASA and science funding in general is so bleak right now, partly because the method of landing was new and risky, and partly because WOO FUCKING SCIENCE LAB ROBOT ON MARS, WOOOOO!

• anansi133 says:

The Apollo LEM weighed about 15 tons when it landed on the moon. Curiosity weighs about one ton. Compared to sojourner and spirit/opportunity, this was a very heavy landing.

Humans are now much closer to setting foot on mars, technology-wise.

• ocker3 says:

I at least wanted something to be passionate about that wasn’t tainted by so many horrible corporate and government practices like the Olympics has become.

5. John Oehler says:

My wife is is a scientist on the Mars Science Team at JPL.  We watched the landing from the same place this fellow was.  And he portrays the drama very well.  I think we all teared up when they announced, “We’re safe.”

My wife then reported for work an hour and a half later (midnight, Pasadena time) — with a few hundred other scientists.

6. Palomino says:

Teamwork is beautiful.

7. Culturedropout says:

Awesome video, dude!  I got tears in my eyes when I watched the landing live, and it happened again just now.  Amazing work by everyone involved.

8. Nicky G says:

this what it all about, yo

9. Funk Daddy says:

I know I can and do use my imagination and stuff, and posterity is not the goal of the mission, but on the next rover can we get a camera that rover can drop, remote trigger, then retrieve?

I mean, if Curiousity were to want a Facebook page, how’s it gonna duckface? Plus I want a shot of it in action for reals cause it would be so cool! This is not to suggest that what has occurred is not cool enough, because it totally is.

10. TheMudshark says:

Super Mario wallpaper at 1:00.

11. anansi133 says:

seeing the parachute deploy from orbit just isn’t good enough, eh? Next year was always better.