13 Responses to “Disney may be eyeing Toy Story 3 writer to pen Star Wars: Episode VII, so get ready for space tears?”

1. bzishi says:

This is promising. But really, does Star Wars need to continue the story of the original saga? There are an almost infinite number of stories in the Star Wars universe. Identification with the old protagonists is fine, but at this point it really isn’t possible except in an Indiana Jones 4 sort of way. I think they should go for a clean break like in KOTOR (which is the best Star Wars story since A New Hope).

2. WaferMouse says:

I just hope they’re careful treading on the toes of the Expanded Universe. I’ve never read much of the Star Wars fiction because whilst I have a nostalgic love for the series, I prefer some science in my sci-fi as an adult. However, I know there’s a lot of very good writers, solid storytelling and FANS in the books, and I’d hate to see fellow geeks go through the anguish of seeing a universe they love burn.

• Donald Petersen says:

I’m with you.  I was pretty annoyed at how Abrams, Orci, & Kurtzman weren’t content to just reboot the Star Trek franchise, but actually went to the trouble of annihilating every single event from the ten movies and 627 television episodes (not counting Enterprise) that came before their movie.  The least they could have done was left Nimoy out of it.

Anyway, I’m not terribly worried.  Two generations of fans have grown up with the SW universe, and many people who work as science fiction writers, movie directors, special effects technicians, etc., decided they wanted to do this kinda stuff for a living as a direct result of having their minds blown by seeing Star Wars as a kid.  Probably some astronauts, too.  And there’s one thing that absolutely everyone with even a passing interest in Star Wars on a creative level knows very well indeed: how George screwed up.  Even people who genuinely like the prequels understand that a whole lot of people don’t like them.  The most philistine, dollar-chasing, bottom-line-fixated studio accountant recognizes that, adjusting for inflation, the old SW movies are #2, #12, and #15 on the all-time box office list  whereas the prequels are #16, #87, and #60 on that list.

For once, it simply makes prudent financial sense for Disney to have a good script in hand before they shoot.  This brand is already damaged by prioritizing story and character below VFX and kiddie appeal.  And Disney certainly wants to get its money’s worth out of that $4 billion investment.  One more bad movie on the level of, say, Attack of the Clones will keep audiences away for a generation.

• WaferMouse says:

Yeah, Star Trek’s had a rough treatment, and even though I’ve come to terms with the new continuity, I think my initial response to the news of the reboot is what makes me feel so strongly for the fans of the SW fiction.

• Jardine says:

I was pretty annoyed at how Abrams, Orci, & Kurtzman weren’t content to just reboot theStar Trek franchise, but actually went to the trouble of annihilating every single event from the ten movies and 627 television episodes (not counting Enterprise) that came before their movie.  The least they could have done was left Nimoy out of it.

I’m going with the idea that the reboot movie is just a minor offshoot of the original universe. The books are continuing on in the original universe. Star Trek Online takes place in the original timeline after the events that led up to the reboot movie (Romulus blowing up and such). With new movies, they seem to want to play in the offshoot timeline, but Michael Dorn wants to do a Captain Worf series as well. Both timelines can exist at the same time.

• Donald Petersen says:

Yeah, that’s a good way to look at it.  I just don’t have any interest in seeing the new movie.  I’ve lost interest in the characters because of what Abrams et al turned them into.

3. W Thomas says:

“George Lucas hit those three marks at the climax of Star Wars within a space of 22 seconds.”
    I’d say Marcia Lucas’ kick-ass Oscar-winning editing had a lot to do with SW’s satisfying conclusion.

4. Diogenes says:

Toy Story 3 was okay, but with one glaring flaw; Buzz Lightyear would never give up and hold hands as he slides towards his doom.  Whoever wrote that should hang up his keyboard.

5. Chris Woods says:

$25 custom STAR WARS drawings ARE STILL AVAILABLE! Request your fav character or scene! http://www.indiegogo.com/sandstorm http://youtu.be/-w7RmnNecRk

6. Kenneth Elliott says:

toy story 3 should have ended the series, not create a gaping hole in the narration, only to ensure more Pixar shorts and TS films. I hope the new Star Wars doesn’t have cheap, sexist Ken-doll jokes.

7. Tom O'Connor says:

Star Wars could do much worse than Mr. Arndt. I have attended his talks on story structure and “insanely great endings” …the guy knows his business and knows how to write a great story. I’m actually MORE likely to attend a new SW movie if I know he is the writer.

8. jackbird says:

Both Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine have strong themes of letting go of something you love for bigger and better things.  A perfect fit for Star Wars fandom.

9. regeya says:

How about Stanton?  I would trust the guy responsible for Wall-E with Star Wars. I love that Wall-E went the extra step; it didn’t explore the oft-tread “does an AI have a soul?” and instead just told a good story about a machine with all kinds of soul.