Solitaire.exe: a real deck of cards based on Windows 98 Solitaire

11 Responses to “Solitaire.exe: a real deck of cards based on Windows 98 Solitaire”

1. Henry Pootel says:

Brilliant :)

And great for when the power is out and you need that fix!

2. taras says:

The app was called sol.exe, not solitaire.exe. Sad times/8.3 filenames. I do love it though.

Also (for API nerds) check out what Cooper Hewitt, who commissioned this deck, are doing with their collection: http://collection.cooperhewitt.org/api/

3. Adam Korman says:

Didn’t Susan Kare design Solitaire? Why is Evan Roth signing these as if it’s his work (and presumably profiting from it)? http://kare.com/portfolio/17_microsoft_solataire.html

• Angryjim says:

I see Roth does credit her an his site. I do think it is awesome that he made the cards real, and he deserves credit for doing that work, but it does annoy me a little when an artist is merely appropriating another’s work. Duchamp’s fountain was at least turned sideways and given new meaning..  So, anyway I am glad Roth is acknowledging her and linking to her portfolio.

4. onereader says:

Solitaire was included in Windows 3.0. I spent hours playing it when I was a child. I loved the final animation, when the cards started exploding from the stacks. Too bad it was calibrated for 1990 PCs and never revamped, IIRC in Windows XP it fast you almost couldn’t see it.

• Metostopholes says:

You should go watch the video on the store page.

In fact everyone reading this should.

• Jorpho says:

Indeed, the link suggests there is some difference between the cards as used in Windows 98 and those from Windows 3.0.  What could the difference be?

5. Dimmer says:

Windows 3.0 had a 16 colour palette, Windows ’98 had a 256 colour one?

6. Warren_Terra says:

It’s been a long, long time, but I’m pretty sure the file name in Windows 3.x was “sol.exe”, not “solitaire.exe”. Especially since the latter is 9 characters before the extension, rather than 8.