I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

30 Responses to “Rubber-band shotgun Kickstarter”

1. GoatLordMessiah says:

How is this Kickstarter “oversubscribed” exactly? I’d say its equally subscribed to the people who wish to subscribe/back to the project.

2. Mister44 says:

“I see you have constructed a rubber band shot gun. Your skills are complete.”

3. Vanwall Green says:

A pal used to get into rubber-band gun fights at work, with the industrial-strength variety. One day a guy showed up with long stick with multiple notches, and a string he laid down along the length of the stick.He loaded up about twenty bands, aimed, and pulled the string up. The noise of all the bands flying through the air was almost as much fun as the target strike.

4. bolamig says:

Someone’s going to lose an eye.

5. Jake0748 says:

Rubber-band shotgun Kickstarter.

Damn… it makes me so happy, that no matter how old I get, there can still be new combinations of words I’d never imagined.

Kudos.

6. Sigmund_Jung says:

And who is going to free your kid from the TSA prison?

7. 5onthe5 says:

When I was growing up my parents wouldn’t let me have any toy guns, even water pistols. They didn’t think guns were a suitable theme for children’s play.

Now when I watch the children in that video grinning as they pump their shotguns, I get a twinge of guilt and unease.

• CSBD says:

My parents would not let us have toy guns or BB guns either.  They felt it would be dangerous for us to think of guns as toys seeing as my parents had real guns that they kept around the house (loaded).  We all turned out ok…

• I have a slightly different experience, but similar.

I wasn’t allowed toy weapons as a kid (and I get why), and now whenever I see a a youngen with a plastic gun pretending to kill everyone at a bus stop it makes me really uncomfortable, and worry about their psychology.  I’m not sure if that’s just due to my upbringing though – especially as I’ll happily do the same in a video game and not think anything of it.

In summary I don’t know what I think about toy weapons.

• TheOven says:

I was actually encouraged to play with guns as a kid. We had lots of rifles. My first was given to me at 12 I think. Maybe 10.

We had rifles in the house and Dad taught us mostly about safety. We knew where the guns were kept locked up, where the bullets were and that we were never, ever allowed to touch them unless he was with us and we where at a range or in the woods – they were for hunting only. We were taught respect for the power and danger of guns but also not to be afraid of them so that we could handle them knowledge and awareness.

We also played Cowboys and Indians (I had to learn what racism was later) and occasionally the school or some concerned parent would take our toy guns away. We played with a piece of wood or whatever was around – like a finger. (“Bang bang, I got you! You’re totally dead, so lie down and count to ten.”) So, kids will probably always find a way to play guns so long as there are real guns.

There was never any confusion about toys vs. real guns though, and as an adult I too cringe a little when I see kids with any kind of gun. But for us, it really was a reflection of my father’s outlook that you might need to use a gun someday so you needed to know what it was and how to use it to get food. Not a skill I’ve grown to need – as a vegetarian, carrots are easy to catch and kill.

The lesson I take from it all is that while I don’t feel comfortable seeing kids and guns together, I think education is important and kids can learn to be respectful of firearms. The real problem as I see it, is that guns remind us all of mankind’s propensity for violence. And even though the human animal is smart enough to rise above violence in all it’s forms, we don’t seem to be willing to.

/rant

8. Wiki-Truths says:

20 thousand dollars spent on rubber band guns. I’m ashamed to be human.

9. nemonomen says:

looks a lot like the “P6 elastic” and “P8 elastic” rubber band guns they had here in Italy back in the ’80s. I say “they had” ’cause my parents never bought me one… :(

10. puppybeard says:

I for one, can’t wait to face-off with my colleagues, furiously pumping as we spray each other.

11. Guest says:

Ahum. Working rubber-band rotary cannon. Youtube. Plywood. Sorry.