26 Responses to “Guy fakes "Mexican" accent to classmates as prank, then reveals shocking lack of accent”

1. Matt Fisher says:

Seems like a lot of trouble, actually taking a class, just to prank some kids.

2. nixiebunny says:

He’s very good at the Mexican accent. Almost too good.

3. I posit that he does in fact have an American accent.

4. Bodhipaksa says:

Reminds me of the character Arastoo Vaziri in “Bones,” who had a Middle-eastern accent for several seasons, only to reveal that he’d been faking it so that people wouldn’t find it odd that he was a devout Muslim. It was a bit of a weird premise, but a nice fake-out.

5. anansi133 says:

The web is like X-ray spectacles for (some) bigotry.

6. jccalhoun says:

As someone who has taught Public Speaking I am very curious to know what his teacher thought about it.

7. pduggie says:

Was there a point?

• Boundegar says:

Pro-level trolling.

• Kelly M says:

Weak trolling, if anything.
        This is more like the blase feeling I would get watching the theater majors preen for attention during lunchtime.  As a prank, its only mildly amusing, esp given the time that went into it.In the end I’m left with that this guy is one 1000s of people who can fake an accent.  He just bothered with if for a longer period of time to gather some nonplussed responses on his phone camera.  /yawn”Hey I faked a Mexican accent for a few months”  Pro level?  Hardly.

8. Sigmund_Jung says:

Well played, sir.

But… he spent 4 months without actually making any friends — and the one he made was still dupped. Now I understand why people call Facebook “social”.

9. Jay says:

I watched the whole thing waiting for the point of all of it.. some kind of cultural tolerance message, or something?.. but.. nothing. Just trollin for 4 months. Love it.

10. TheMudshark says:

Vay vould you not haff David Hasselhoff als your idol, vay would it be a gifaway?!?

11. Moar of lady in green plz.

12. Repurposed says:

I used to do a similar troll, but it was actually more of a jerkish reflex.

People will occasionally speak very slowly and loudly to me (I’m Asian) before I’ve so much as opened my mouth. Every now and then I’ll play along for a while then switch back to my Australian-accented English. The thing is, often when I don’t play along, someone will say ‘You speak good English for an Asian’ or some like phrase.

You might think, ‘hilarious!’ but really, when someone’s first reaction is to stereotype you, you see the impact everywhere from your career to who will stand next to you on the train.

13. Jim says:

Where’d he go to school?

14. Petzl says:

Why doesn’t he also affect a limp and a stutter?
    Then he can be the Mexican Keyser Soze.