Quadcopter vs moose

Espen sez, "Tech-enthusiast Eirik Solheim (@eirikso) at the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) was out fooling around with his quad-copter this weekend, and managed to sneak up on a slightly confused moose. The enthusiasm then reached new heights (audio is a must)."

Update: Eirik sez, "I am amused by the fact that people seem to like the quad-moose video so well. Even if they don't understand the enthusiastic commentary track... But it leaves a lot of questions, so I updated my blog with some answers.

Sa hei til intetanende elg med fjernstyrt helikopter (Thanks, Espen!)

30 Responses to “Quadcopter vs moose”

1. Pokemon Otis says:

A Møøse once bit my sister … No realli!

2. GuyInMilwaukee says:

She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge – her brother-in-law – an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: “The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist”, “Fillings of Passion”, “The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink”.

• ldobe says:

“The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink”

Whenever I drive by the dentist’s or see a dental appointment on the calendar I always think this line to myself and chuckle

And how *Huge* could his Mølars really be?

Damn, now I’m thinking of Oddities from the science channel.  I hate that show.  I don’t consider myself squeamish, but it really tests me, so I try to just avoid it and be happy, instead of lying awake at night with images of various preserved polycephalic animals in my head.

3. TWX says:

We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.

4. Møøse trained by TUTTE HERMSGERVORDENBROTBORDA

5. joe k. says:

That was a møose. Need more aquavite to fully appreciate.

6. DisGuest says:

I’m disappointed. I thought the moose was going to be enthusiastic.

• xzzy says:

There was some curiosity, and what looked like a foot stomp towards the end (which is a good sign that you need to be retreating).

But I think the poor old moose knew it had no effective attack against the buzzing bird, and mostly wanted to be left alone.

• DisGuest says:

I agree. I was joking, but the excitement from the crew was “meh” for me. I’m sure the language barrier was part of it, but an enthusiastic moose, now that would have been da bomb. :)

7. videobored says:

I’m admittedly new to the whole quad-copter thing, but holy moly, I was hella impressed with the range and degree of control the guys had with the thing. Now I want one, like NOW.

Large møøse on the left hand side of the screen in the third scene from the end, given a thorough grounding in Latin, French and “O” Level Geography by: BO BENNER

8. Garymon says:

On first viewing the video reminded me of a Iamamiwhoami video (sans naked singer). So I started her song “B” on Spotify, then started video. Her final words in the song sync up perfectly with when the quad turns and fly’s back.

9. awjt says:

Are these the same guys who tried to jump off the deck through the frozen swimming pool?

10. Kenmrph says:

One of the Norwegians has a distinctly Gervaisian laugh.

11. Sarah Pin says:

Because of Scandinavia And The World, I just assume that all Norwegians sound exactly like this every time they see any kind of animal. “OH MAN OH MAN IT’S A SQUIRREL LOOK AT ITS TAIL THAT IS *SUCH* A GREAT TAIL”

12. AnRek says:

Take a look at THIS moose-video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jku_2-xs3Gw

13. allium says:

“Rocky…is that you? My God, what did those Pottsylvanian bastards do to you?”

It was my own government that did this, I think in jagged letters ten feet tall. Of course after the cyborging I can only talk in Bluetooth, 802.11, and half a dozen classified military frequencies, and I left my loudspeaker module back at the base during my escape, so all Agent B hears are the chainsaw buzz of my rotors. He only knows it’s me because the boys under Groom Lake painted a cartoon of…what I was…on my fuselage. As a joke. They thought it was hilarious.

So I yaw back and forth, hoping he’ll interpret that as a “no”.

Steam rises from B’s nostrils as he tosses his massive, antlered head back. “When I see Fearless Leader again. I’m gonna pull a can of whoop-ass out of my hat!”

By the Great Acorn Above, he’s dense. I dispense some eka-meth from my internal drug reservoirs to focus; two point eight seconds later I come to a decision and warm up the excimer.

“But wait a second…the Admiral told me you were dead! He spoke at your funeral! He…” B trails off as he sees words of fire appear vertically in the bark of the trees in front of him, one word per trunk. My targeting system is very precise – assassination tools generally are.

“PEACHFUZZ BURNED ME. CALL CLOYD AND GIDNEY.”

Two hours later and thirty miles to the west, B paws at a nondescript hillock of frozen earth to uncover the squirt transmitter we buried there after the Upsidasium Affair. As dirt flies into the air, I idly wonder whether there’s room for a squirrel brain in a Metal-Munching Mouse chassis, and how long it would take to get through a certain flag officer’s sternum with its gleaming titanium teeth.

14. grimatongueworm says:

Hey……copter……..leave that moose alone.

15. DataShade says:

The concept of aliens coming to earth in UFOs just to shine lights on people or mess with their heads now seems much more credible.

16. JhmL says:

And the ‘moose’ followed them into the camp. The aftermath you can see in ‘The Thing’ (1982).

17. Max Allan says:

Impressive quality on the good camera. I imagine if he works for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, he gets some good toys to play with! If they can get that quality from a quadcopter, I can imagine that traditional dolly and wire filming techniques are going to become obsolete fairly soon.

Am I the only one thinking that in the same way as we are seeing a lot of helmetcam footage coming out on YouTube, we’re going to start seeing a lot more random amateur quadcoptercam footage?

18. I have updated my blog with some more info on this clip. The tech etc: http://eirikso.com/2013/01/09/moose-vs-quadcopter/

19. Tomhung says:

Using such aids for hunting in Idaho is illegal.

20. salvagesalvage says:

Danny Dunn, Invisible Boy, we’re nearly there.