I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

6 Responses to “Kinetic toothpick sculpture of San Francisco”

1. tristis says:

I’m not complaining, but as an interesting historical note, I first saw this on Boing Boing nearly three years ago: http://boingboing.net/2010/03/31/man-creates-sf-out-o.html

2. blindwanderer says:

I’ve seen this in person, it is truly amazing. The fact that is made of tooth picks adds to the complexity and enjoyment of the piece. When I was there they had a faithful reconstruction of the Titanic(? not 100% on this) made of toothpicks, it was boring and lifeless compared to this.

The American Visionary Art Museum has some very interesting pieces. I recall some pieces by one artist that were in a style similar to the book “Where the wild things are” and content similar to the NSFW temples in India but on an acid trip.

3. Luigi Anzivino says:

I’ve very happy this is being boingboing-ed again, since I am the person who shot the video… :D
    However, I should mention that Rolling Through the Bay is no longer at the American Visionary Art Museum: Scott has brought it back home, and it will next be on display in San Francisco, at the Exploratorium’s new home at Pier 15. The sculpture will have a permanent home in the new Tinkering Studio, and Scott is planning on coming by as often as he can to give people his very entertaining “guided tours” of San Francisco. The Exploratorium opens April 17, 2013.

4. Lukas Kalmár says:

how did you find this? i was just reading some depressive tweets that david oreilly tweeted (and deleted) and while looking for something to cheer him up, i googled “works of art that took a long time to create” and found a top 10 list of art that took more than 1000 hours to create. this was number 1. decided not to post it, go to boing boing and BAM it’s here. what the hell!

5. Beanolini says:

Did anyone else feel the need to sing ‘pitagora suichi’ when the balls came out?

6. Paul Renault says:

I’m sooo glad that it’s not my job to clean it.  Can you imagine?