Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects

TAGS:

29 Responses to “Pranksters fill NYC subway car with absurdist panhandler party”

1. Rick Adams says:

Holy shit that’s awesome. The built-up tension caused by some of the more aggressive panhandlers is the perfect thing to exploit for comedy.
    Hilarious…

2. Andy says:

This is SO SO SO good. oh man.

3. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

So how much money did they get?

4. JohnQPublic says:

“We lost a lion. They’re blaming me.”  Best line

5. Gulliver says:

I don’t know whether to be sad or elated that this was more entertaining than all three Transformers films combined. I’m gonna miss New York when it’s under water.

• Matthew Urso says:

damn, we’ve stolen californias “thing” haven’t we…

• Robert Janca says:

But the mean spirited edge is not something we do here out west…you guys can keep it.

• Rick Adams says:

The west actually excels in being mean-spirited. It’s just that we do it with passive-aggression and sarcasm. Most New Yorkers are nicer than I would’ve expected. They’re just a little more honest because they don’t have the time for extra bullshit.

• wrybread says:

As an ex longtime New Yorker now living in San Francisco for 12 glorious years, I’m feeling compelled to have you define “the west”. I’d say here in San Francisco we mostly lack mean spiritedness, whether of the passive-aggressive or aggressive variety. Sure we dip our toes into irony, but its generally with a smirk. At least compared to those neurotic passive-aggressive L.A. people down south…

6. otterhead says:

This is brilliant. I do kinda wish the businessman hadn’t pulled out all the f-bombs and ‘dickheads’ and such, myself. Does that make me an old fogey?

7. SuperMatt says:

It was so funny that…

…I forgot to laugh.

8. LinkMan says:

The candy-seller was so fake.  All real candy sellers sell peanut M&Ms and Starburst.  Not Welch’s fruit snacks.

• retchdog says:

speak for yourself. of the ones i see, about half have exclusively welch’s. i suspect the bulk price is lower (buy case of 144 and split).

9. Not that far from reality. Candy sellers are my pet peeve. Dude your 6’3 and 38yrs old, you don’t have a bball team.

10. Kenmrph says:

Oh man, just when I thought I didn’t want to see another flash-mob no-pants improv-everywhere whatever video… that was BRILLIANT!  And they actually managed to pull off the near-impossible, which is to end a sketch comedy bit on a truly funny note.

11. Robert Cruickshank says:

“Surreal spectacle”? Uh, no.