Crab misunderstands name of event

46 Responses to “Crab misunderstands name of event”

1. I think the subtext here is that the crab is a cannibal.

2. Robert Drop says:

Are we sure we’re not misunderstanding the sign?  Perhaps a bunch of hungry humans will show up only to be fed to crabs.  Disturbingly grinning crabs, no less.

3. I’m not sure if this is better or worse than all the fried chicken places with Roosters wearing chefs hats on the sign.

• Dlo Burns says:

When my family raised chickens they’d eat (cooked) chicken we threw out, and one time I found them eating a pigeon that died on the property.

• bobtato says:

My tip for enjoying your life that little bit more is: Don’t ever google “chickens” and “cannibalism”.  Tl;dr: they’re not as cute as you think.

• Dlo Burns says:

I figured out that most* farm animal will try cannibalism pretty much out of pure boredom/ignorance; but pigs are only too eager to try it.

*cows like getting at the stomach contents of cow-corpses.

• Ryan Lenethen says:

I got one of those facebook guilt like photos the other day, showing the differances between different chicken producers. One of them was if they cliped beaks or not. There is a reason why they clip beaks of chickens in close proxminity. They are not doing it to just be mean. I watched a TV show on it one. Disturbing to say the least. Chickens it seems are a bunch of jerks.

4. theophrastvs says:

i’m quite sure that there was a web-page devoted to cannibalistic advert images – with a special section on self-cannibalism (zB) …but damme if i can find it.

5. inkfumes says:

It’s a Cookbook! It’s a Cookbook!!!!

6. karl_jones says:

I am reminded of a passage from Creation by Gore Vidal.

Our narrator is a Persian on embassy to the kingdoms of India, much shaken when the princes of two kingdoms depose — that is, murder and seize the kingship from — their respective fathers:

Although I found it curiously abominable that India’s two most powerful Aryan kings should be murdered by their sons, Prince Jeta seemed not at all perturbed. “We have an old saying, ‘Princes, like crabs, eat their own parents.’ ”

7. agonist says:

A Malaysian colleague once sent out a heated email in which she referred to a bad situation as being “total crab”. I immediately added it to my lexicon.

8. niktemadur says:

Looks like the crab is wearing a bib, but it’s actually a Rotary Club flag.

9. equack says:

This is common regional/dialect usage in the U.S. mid-Atlantic region. I can see how it would sound funny to someone who had never heard it before. When I was in high school near Philadelphia the teachers would sometimes host “feeds” where they would provide snack foods for their students. A feed is a party where food is served and (typically) alcohol is not.

10. ImmutableMichael says:

Flickr has a group devoted to just such photos…

11. bolamig says:

Crab is pretty classy.  I’m used to seeing pancake feeds at suburban churches.

12. rattypilgrim says:

It’s deep into crab season in Sonoma County, Ca. where Sebastopol is located. This month there are at least 11 crab feeds hosted by different groups as fund raisers.

13. Gunn says:

This must be why one so rarely sees crabs in Sebastopol: zero survival skills.

14. bolamig says:

Some might say the whole capitalistic system that the Rotarians promote is in the end, from an entropic/heat death perspective, cannabilistic.

15. bolamig says:

I think the word “feed” is used in an an ironic way, sort of a hipsterism for boomers.   Like we’re too cool to call it a meal, dining, or especially fundraiser.  Slumming.

16. baronkarza says:

Guy walks into a diner and asks the waiter “Do you serve crabs?”
    Waiter says “Sure, siddown, we serve everybody!”

No applause, just throw money.

17. Preston Sturges says:

Attack of the giant crab (Mysterious Island)

18. brucearthurs says:

And don’t forget Attack of the Crab Monsters

(Omighod!  Russell Johnson was in that movie!  No wonder the Professor could build so many things on Gilligan’s Island!  He had experience!)

19. dr says:

We were there yesterday and saw the sign; it inspired us to get a crab for dinner last night.  I don’t know whether the crab was expecting something rather different out of the meal.