Unreal Hawaii, an outdoor adventure photo blog

7 Responses to “Unreal Hawaii, an outdoor adventure photo blog”

1. sdmikev says:

awesome, thanks for the post.  some of what the photo subjects are doing there are not too safe, but.. :)
    we hiked about 5 miles in on the kalalau trail also blogged on his site, but hoofed it back out that same day.  it wasn’t as sunny as their hike, but it wasn’t rainy either, which was a major plus on that trail. I highly recommend it.

2. eldritch says:

The most unreal thing about Hawaii is the cohabitation of soul crushing poverty next door to unbelieveable wealth and luxury. Great place for wealthy white people to vacation, terrible place for locals to live and work. At least the nature is jaw-droppingly beautiful and you can surf whenever you’re not working or sleeping, I guess.

• Xeni Jardin says:

It is true. And it is true in some of the other phenomenally beautiful places of the world. But the poverty and marginalization of Native Hawaiian people here is… well, it’s a lot like what Native Americans on the mainland are facing.

• eldritch says:

It just makes it hard to enjoy the grandeur of a place when it’s so steeped in social iniquity. Of course, I’ll admit I’m horribly jaded…

• Mike Vella says:

Well, not as bad as like Jamaica, but it can be quite jarring, I agree.
      My mom was born and raised on the islands, but moved to the mainland in the early 60′s. I’ve been there for visits countless times since I was a toddler, heard stories, read a little, etc.. So this is just my opinion.
      The entire state was treated like a boom town – for tourism and natural resources to be pillaged. BTW, not without the help early on of the Hawaiian leaders themselves, but that’s another story.
      And in that small setting (particularly on Oahu with the high rises and Kalakaua Ave – the Rodeo Drive of the Pacific) it’s even more jarring.
      In the last decade or so, I have sensed and have SEEN change in places on the islands – even with the recession – to move away from that kind of boom and bust attitude. They are successfully growing and exporting sustainable agriculture, they are making “green living” and “thinking local” real things that actually mean something and can have long term positive effects on everyone. From the visitors/tourists to the citizens of the state.
      We’ve been to Kauai three times in the last 5 years and I have to tell you, that considering how crushing a recession can be anywhere, they have powered through it in an amazing fashion.
      Also, when it comes to healthcare and taking care of the elderly, they have it over most states – and the poverty and unemployment rates are actually quite good compared to other states.
      BTW, I’m not trying to whitewash the inequities at all, because I know they are there, but I think there have been positive changes.

3. duncancreamer says:

Excellent Timing. My wife will be on the island of Molokai for three months this spring and this is just the kind of blog I was looking for to help her get prepared for island life. Thanks.