10 Responses to “Welcome to your Awesome Robot: instructional robot-making comic now out in the US”

1. Chentzilla says:

You need a book for that?!

• Bonnie Ash says:

No you don’t. But it is a cute little book. This picture is from Halloween about  11 years ago when my then 4 year old insisted that only a “bobot” costume would suffice. We spray painted a ray gun and an  inverted an iceream bucket for a helmit.  The rest came from misc craft supplies and a cardboard box.

2. tiredofit says:

We got this for my daughter, and she and her friend Sarah (both 8 years old) LOVE it.

3. Chentzilla says:

Okay, the comments got too deep to answer, so I’ll swim on top:
    What I wanted to say is that there are already many books and movies and video games and whatnot which are perfectly good to creatively inspire people. But still, the cool thing is to invent a way to bring the things you like into life or other media – like making that Robocop costume out of a bicycle helmet and a bottle of detergent. Being told “make a robot out of a cardboard box with so-and-so stickers” is less inspiring and more giving “canned inspiration”, where someone already invented a fun thing and gives it to you. And it’s not like it’s something you can’t come up with on your own. At this point in human history, this book is redundant.

• mccrum says:

When i was a kid I got a book as a gift.  It pretty much contained instructions on how to be a rural kid:  How to bend a birch, how to build an underground fort, how to build a boat and a lake for it to go in.  These were all skills that I could have thought up and invented had I really considered the possibilities.  One could easily claim this book is redundant, what with the Boy Scout Handbook, the American Boy’s Handy Book, and general knowledge of man.

However, sometimes people need a little kickstarter of concepts and process.  One of the photos above even shows encouragement of creating your own stickers instead of just using what is in the book.

There are a lot of things out there for a lot of people.  This book obviously isn’t for you.  But I have a very smart niece who was astonished one afternoon when we sat down and made up a puppet show out of brown paper bags.  It’t not new technology, but she’d never been shown such a thing, not even with the Fandango commercials.  This book would be perfect.

4. jpgsawyer says:

I remember doing precisely this as a kid.

Excellent to see something considered a bit odd when we where kids becoming more normal. Still I would take Robbie over anything from a book. Even if he did smell after a while because we had to make our own glue out of flour and water… Glue was off limits are some of our previous creations!