14 Responses to “Lauren Beukes's Shining Girls: a serial killer thriller with a time-travel twist”

1. Marc Caldwell says:

I have to admit, not familiar with the author’s previous work, that I reacted in hopes that this was about the 2 twin sisters from “The Shining”…

2. Midnight_Wanderer says:

“Serial killer”, eh? Not exactly straining your creative powers.

• dioptase says:

How about “Sir Eel Killers?”  A book about the nefarious activities of a fishing magnate.

A very rare book.  I doubt you’ll find a copy.

3. SpaceOtter says:

While I am a huge fan of her previous efforts, I’ll be skipping this one. Really, does the world need another time travel story? There’s nothing fresh to be done with the concept. Or am I wrong?

• marilove says:

How do you even know if you’ve not read the book yet…?  And does a book have to be “fresh” to be enjoyable?! I don’t think so.

• Steve Taylor says:

I’m hard pressed to think of a type of story the world actually “needs” – and sure, I’m up for another time travel story. Why on earth not?

• Sam Wilson says:

The story uses time travel to deal with a lot of stuff, like inescapable obsession and changing attitudes to women during the 20th century. Read it, it’s worth it. Full disclosure – I know Lauren personally, which is how I got my hands on an advance copy.

• Cathy says:

How presumptuous of you.  The Shining Girls is even better than Zoo City.  You have no idea what this book is about or what you’re talking about.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

How presumptuous of you.

Choosing what to read?

• Cathy says:

Choosing what to read is one thing — deciding if a book is good or not BEFORE reading it is another — learn the definition of presumptuous please.

4. Doran says:

Read it. Loved it. Recommended.

5. The UK cover is so good! The US cover is so bad! I have pre-ordered this for my e-reader ap of choice.

6. Steve Taylor says:

Damn. Just saw this in the shop the other day, thought about it, and passed it over. If I’d seen this post it probably would have decided me.