Doctor Who actor vs. fans (Update: not vs. fans)

27 Responses to “Doctor Who actor vs. fans (Update: not vs. fans)”

1. He’s upset? Maybe the fans should show him how sorry they are by showering him with homemade gifts and cards! (I’m kidding)
    Edit: I am Typos the Great and Terrible!

2. Rider says:

I always wish pricks like this could back to their younger starving for attention selves and get a dose of reality.

3. Vole_tron says:

“The Radio Times has really done a number on me re Dr Who ‘quote’. Thanks for that! Suffice to say It was taken out of context AGAIN.”

“I haven’t done an interview for them for many years, because of this. Nasty, spiteful, trouble causing ‘Journalism’. I meant no disrespect to ‘Whovians’ or whoever. It’s a non story. I always try to be polite to fans and am v proud of my time in the show. You can choose to believe what you like but I really meant no offence. I’ve obviously pissed off some bored journalist coz I wouldn’t do an interview.”

4. chgoliz says:

He seems to be a strange blend of self-aware and yet self-absorbed.

Reminds me of a British star from the 1970s I knew who started going to Hollywood for a few months every year in the 1980s where he made the vast majority of the money his family enjoyed, including being able to move into a much nicer house in a much nicer part of town.  He was quite insulting about Americans….didn’t mind the residuals, of course, but how dare they exist other than during the moments it took to watch his work?

• Matt says:

I’m not sure there’s a celebrity out there who “seems” anything remotely like what they’re actually like, except by purely random coincidence.

And that’s neither a defense of nor a criticism of celebrities; it’s a reflection of the fact that snippets of commentary like that are misleading and distorting by their very nature, even before they’re maliciously taken out of context (or, more frequently, “benignly” massaged by a celebrity’s PR firm into a totally different context).

There’s a celebrity I know fairly well on a personal level. His press, and he’s been pretty famous for about 30 years, describes him as a very nice man of simple tastes who hasn’t let fame and fortune spoil him. And I’d agree with all of that, except I know a TOTALLY DIFFERENT nice, simple, unspoiled man than the one in all his clippings! It’s day and night, and if I met him today knowing only what the press had told me, I’d be completely confused. So when he talks to fans, as he frequently has occasion to do, he automatically puts on a different face. Still a very nice face, but his dealing-with-strangers face. It’s not exactly play-acting, but it’s definitely not him. Because if he doesn’t, it all just gets weird–people are already nervous to be talking to someone famous, and any little hiccup just sends the interaction spiraling towards weirdness and hurt feelings.

I suspect every celebrity–the “nice” ones, the “standoffish” ones, the “wacky” ones, the “mean” ones, the “dumb” ones, and all the rest–are doing this to some extent. And even if they’re not, I still think the nature of the medium distorts a lot of what we hear about famous people.

5. Sylvia says:

The man himself says this is a non-story.

Maybe you should take this non-true-thing off of this blog.

6. dioptase says:

At Tesco, eh?  So that’s how horsemeat got sold there.  Clever, evil plan.  And under the guise of an actor out shopping with his kids.  Brilliant!

7. knoxblox says:

Shows how much Dr. Who I watch.

I would have been approaching him to congratulate him on his work in State of Play.

• Just_Ok says:

It’s DOCTOR Who, not Dr. Who.

• RadioSilence says:

Yeah yeah, but it’s a comment on a blog, not an academic thesis.
        To paraphrase Stephen Fry, you communicate with words in a similar way you do with clothes. You wouldn’t wear a tracksuit to a job interview, but it doesn’t matter if you wear it to watch TV.

• knoxblox says:

Doctor Who, then.

Funny thing about details. Some are important enough to save your life. Some aren’t.

Something tells me perhaps I shouldn’t make a mistake like this in the presence of a football hooligan, though.

• Snig says:

It won’t cost you you’re life if you insist on calling it the Throne Gameshow by GRR Martin, or the Ringlord by John Ronald Rueul T.  But Folks will look at you as if you’re a little dim.

• Just_Ok says:

It’s soccer, not football. ;)

• adonai says:

Just ask them if they saw that ludicrous display last night and you’ll be fine.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Yeah yeah, but it’s a comment on a blog, not an academic thesis.

• RadioSilence says:

‘XKCD did it first’ is fast replacing ‘The Simpsons did it first’ :D

8. OliveGreenapple says:

And this is why when I spot a celeb I pretend I didn’t. Because, honestly, I don’t know them. That being said… if I were famous I’d probably trump Lady Gaga in the slobbering-over-every-fan category. Probably an indication of the kind of personality that can never be famous.

To be honest, even as a mangled pseudo-quote, it doesn’t strike me as that mean. The worst thing about it though is that it is just the kind of cold statement that would make a person who is already obsessed with a pretend psychopath even more certain Simm would LUUUURVE to hear from them!

• vrplumber says:

This.^^   The comment seems totally appropriate to me. People should respect personal boundaries.

But, isn’t he just the dreamiest??!! ;)

• Antinous / Moderator says:

David Sedaris was telling Jon Stewart(?) that when he’s at book signings, his fans end up edging away from him because he won’t stop talking to them.

9. dr says:

How did the fans recognize him without the goatee?

10. knoxblox says:

When it comes to being spotted, I suppose Crispin Glover is the slipperiest.

When he was in Wichita filming Twister (the Dylan McDermott one), he rode past me on a touring bicycle on a Friday night, too fast for me to alert my friends. Next, he attended the movie theater I where I was working — on my night off.

“Oh, yeah. Crispin Glover? I almost met him. Twice.”

11. Amanda Pursell says:

When a celebrity is out with their kids leave them alone. How hard is that? Are people really upset that someone wouldn’t want to be bothered when they’re not ‘working’?