Sensing your gestures with WiFi

23 Responses to “Sensing your gestures with WiFi”

1. crenquis says:

Rather than basic gestures, I’ll program it to recognize some basic behaviors…
    e.g. If I open the freezer door more than twice, I’ll have it play “Big Butts”  (the only reason that I open the freezer is to get ice cream).

• Boundegar says:

And, thanks to recent advances in security technology, the NSA will know exactly when you open your freezer! Which, you know, is fine if you don’t have anything to hide, do you, citizen?

Also, Baby Got Back.

2. jaredbb says:

Wow, faraday-cage insulation here I come….

The spying/creep factor for this technology is pretty high.

• Jake0748 says:

I was gonna say… Oh cool, a whole new way for the government to spy on people.  Yay.

• anon0mouse says:

We call those tin foil hats.  I knew the market would provide a legitimate use for them one day. Yay capitalism.

• howaboutthisdangit says:

I would like to see a Consumer Reports review of tin-foil hats.  I’m afraid they might just make you more visible.

Tin-foil wallpaper, now….

• PhasmaFelis says:

There’s actually been a couple of independent reviews of different models of tin-foil hats in different EM conditions! They’re at best totally useless because, um, hello, your face, and at worst actually amplify some wavelengths in your head area.

Assuming you credit mind-control rays in the first place, of course.

• Cowicide says:

The spying/creep factor for this technology is pretty high.

I do wonder if people who live in apartment buildings will be able to use this to detect if their neighbors are home and then rob them.

3. TheOven says:

So… basically, the powers that be can potentially track you wherever there’s wifi? So a swat team could know where in the house everyone is before they enter, for example.

• dragonfrog says:

Probably.  http://stratrisks.com/geostrat/7667

Now, after a few interations of CALEA they might not need to bring their own gear – just use the government-mandated backdoor in your and your neighbours’ wireless routers to get access to their government-mandated location tracking features.

Come to think of it, that might be what finally protects us from such spying – home routers are so buggy and low-quality, the location tracking implemented in them would probably be useless.

4. p1130 says:

This is the radio equivalent of the device Batman uses in The Dark Knight to spy everywhere at once…

5. noahmckinnon says:

My firey Italian girlfriend will love this.

6. Marko Raos says:

You tinfoil hat cads you…

7. bcsizemo says:

Meh.  It’s a similar principal as radar.  But can it distinguish between different people, especially at the same time?  I mean I don’t want to be in the bathroom doing my business only to have the lights go out when I stretch my arms above my head.  Or have the TV turn off when someone else in the room does something.

It’s an interesting proof of concept, but I’m not sure I see a lot of useful applications for it yet.

8. noah django says:

the spying/behavior monitoring aspect is beyond creepy.  I don’t think I’m going to like this century.

but honestly, my first thoughts were the chores Mr. Miagi made Daniel-san do that ended up teaching him karate.

9. JoeBuck says:

The wavelength of a 2.4GHz WiFi signal is about 12.5 cm or 5 inches. If you try using it for imaging, you won’t be able to resolve features much smaller than a wavelength: at best you could detect formless moving blobs.

10. Kimmo says:

Creepiness aside, that’s pretty damn clever.

11. Pondering Jew says:

It could be used in crime investigations to find out the time of a certain event, and the manner it happened.

12. anon0mouse says:

Could make for some awesome pranks. Like if it could tell when your roommate is masterbating, have it play “When the Children Cry” and have the screen display his family photos and “god kills kittens” memes.