TWA's Idlewild lounge: Escher, eat your heart out

26 Responses to “TWA's Idlewild lounge: Escher, eat your heart out”

1. Avi Drissman says:

Idlewild == JFK. Every so often they let people in to look around; e.g. http://www.gadling.com/2012/10/08/an-inside-look-at-the-old-twa-terminal-at-jfk-airport/

• Stefan Jones says:

That was great, thanks!

It is a shame they can’t move the place. It could be retrofitted as a hotel lobby / restaurant / lounge, where the weird layout would be an asset rather than a handicap.

2. DrMedicine says:

It’s not lost.

3. Stefan Jones says:

Long lost? I thought the place had landmark status.

I grew up on Long Island. The TWA manta ray was one of the places my family would see off family and friends, back when you could walk to the gate with travellers and wave to them through the plane windows.

For a space-happy little kid the place was jaw-dropping cool. I remember walking down the carpet-walled, tube-shaped, indirectly lit walkways to the gates, thinking that this is what being in a space station would be like.

More recently . . . argh. I did a lot of business travel in the early 90s, and came to hate the place. It is terribly undersized for a modern terminal, and its layout is simply not suited to security arrangements.

The picture above reminds me of the last time I’d been through there. One of those swoopy balconies has a snack bar. There was an older Japanese tourist couple that was trying to deal with luggage and clearing their table. I took their trays to the bin for them, and was rewarded with this most amazing “Wow, they’re not all rude assholes!” expression.

4. Bill Kates says:

The building is still there. The airport is now of course known as JFK International Airport, and the building, Terminal 5, is now run by Jet Blue. As you can see in the video, the recently revamped interior has retained the sweeping staircases. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3TQoeFYA4

5. Artor says:

Hey! Isn’t that the Exodar? Where are all the Dranei?

6. sam1148 says:

I know I have a dirty mind….

But there’s a power bottom hidden in that design. Oh yeah…baby. come fly with me.

7. more like Gaudi than Escher.

8. ldobe says:

It’s gorgeous, but looks like it would be a real pain in the ass to try to cross with just a few hundred people occupying it.

9. capl says:

The lobby of the Berlin Philharmonic is a little like this, although square. It is easy to get lost, though.

10. Man, I wanna live in a place called Idlewild.

11. Haakon IV says:

As above comments note, part of the terminal is still around and will be renovated. Other parts have been demolished, including part of the lounge that the Port Authority spent $895,000 to move that then was demolished 5 years ago.

12. IronEdithKidd says:

I would die of utter joy if brand-new hyperbolic parabaloid structures started to spring up around the country.  This terminal is simply fabulous.

13. Tod Westlake says:

When I was growing up, dad was in NYC but mom was in L.A. I passed through this terminal at least three times each year during that period, sometimes more.

14. schadenfreudisch says:

not long lost. but certainly neutered.
    it will be open in 2 weeks for a members-only reception.
    and to the general public october 12 and 13.

15. Antinous / Moderator says:

I’m disappointed that there’s not one Krushchev joke.  Whippersnappers.

16. Harold Pomeroy says:

Beautiful to look at, but ugly to use.

If there is a Hell for architects, they are endlessly using the spaces they create.