Trump gave Erdogan green light, Putin nods in approval from Moscow.
Turkey has launched an attack against US-allied Kurds in Northern Syria, after Donald Trump expressed his support for the military assault in a now-infamous phone call to Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan.
Updates on Wednesday morning:
• Turkish warplanes and artillery are striking militia positions in several towns in the border region.
• Erdogan said the Syria assault is code-named “Peace Spring.”
• The United Nations Security Council will meet on Syria behind closed-doors on Thursday, diplomats said, after Turkey launched a military operation against Kurdish fighters in the northeast of the country.
• Emergency Syria talks by 15-member Security Council was requested by 5 European members: Britain, France, Germany, Belgium and Poland
• In announcing the start of Turkey's military action, Erdogan today said the goal is to eliminate a “terror corridor” on Turkey’s southern border.
• NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg today: “I count on Turkey to act with restraint and ensure that any action it may take in northern Syria is proportionate and measured,” he said after meeting Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. “It is important to avoid actions that may further destabilize the region, escalate tensions and cause more human suffering.”
• Chaotic scenes in northern Syria as people flee for their lives.
More below. This is a developing story, and this post will be updated.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo today announced a five-part “Clean Network” effort from the Trump administration which Pompeo says is to limit potential national security risks from China.
Facebook also took down a Trump post for the first time, citing COVID-19 misinformation ban
Justin T. Brown’s Donald Trump is the Dumbest Man in America² cleverly edits Trump’s catastrophic interview with Jonathan Swan so that Trump is arguing with himself. It’s so good, The Lincoln Project ganked it on Twitter.
After years of hearing a steady drumbeat about the necessity of surfing the web under the protection of a VPN, even the most technophobic among us are starting to come around. But even knowing the dangers one can face from cybercrooks phishing for information from unsuspecting victims online, those last holdouts still have some fears. […]
You may not realize it, but some of the biggest films in movie history have been edited using the same tools some of you use to cut your video of vacationing at Disney World. Giant movies from Oscar favorites The Social Network and Gone Girl to blockbusters like Avatar, Deadpool, and last year’s Terminator: Dark […]
Now that the initial furor and shortages have subsided, it’s probably not a bad time to start considering your long-term cleaning and disinfecting plans. Sure, that might seem anywhere from overly cautious to outright ridiculous, but the threat of COVID-19 appears poised to be present for a while and the need for quick travel clean-up […]