Trump gave Erdogan green light, Putin nods in approval from Moscow.
Turkey has launched an attack against US-allied Kurds in Northern Syria, after Donald Trump expressed his support for the military assault in a now-infamous phone call to Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan.
Updates on Wednesday morning:
• Turkish warplanes and artillery are striking militia positions in several towns in the border region.
• Erdogan said the Syria assault is code-named “Peace Spring.”
• The United Nations Security Council will meet on Syria behind closed-doors on Thursday, diplomats said, after Turkey launched a military operation against Kurdish fighters in the northeast of the country.
• Emergency Syria talks by 15-member Security Council was requested by 5 European members: Britain, France, Germany, Belgium and Poland
• In announcing the start of Turkey's military action, Erdogan today said the goal is to eliminate a “terror corridor” on Turkey’s southern border.
• NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg today: “I count on Turkey to act with restraint and ensure that any action it may take in northern Syria is proportionate and measured,” he said after meeting Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. “It is important to avoid actions that may further destabilize the region, escalate tensions and cause more human suffering.”
• Chaotic scenes in northern Syria as people flee for their lives.
More below. This is a developing story, and this post will be updated.
Well, old Donald sure has got himself into a mighty fine pickle. Gordon Sondland testified under oath today that yes there absolutely was a quid pro quo in the Rudy-Giuliani-led drug deal involving Javelins and the president of Ukraine, and Burisma and young Hunter Biden — and that whatever he did, Sondland says he did […]
What is even going on anymore? I thought this was a viral photoshop, but it is not.
CNN reports that Donald Trump can be forced to be deposed in a defamation case against him, ruled a New York state Supreme Court Justice. Summer Zervos, a a former Apprentice contestant accused Trump of sexually assaulting her. She filed a lawsuit against Trump, who responded by calling her a liar. Zervos then filed a […]
Need a boost on that resume? Get a valuable tech education on your own time with these eBook bundles. They contain guides from Packt Publishing that cover everything from game development to machine learning. The Complete Mobile App Developer eBook Bundle It’s a veritable gold rush in the App Store these days. Get in on […]
Vinyl is officially back. People are hearing the proof behind the initial “retro” excitement: that records really do have a richer sound. And if you haven’t switched to old-school records for serious listening, it’s a new golden age. Why? Because quality turntables like the Altec Lansing ALT-500 are finally available to a market other than […]
Between all of our apps, streaming devices, Bluetooth speakers, and energy-sucking decorations, paying for utilities each month can be…brutal. In fact, the average household spends roughly $70 a month on the water bill alone. That number might not seem terribly significant, but when you add it up, that’s $840 a year — a pretty significant […]