Boing Boing Gift Guide 2009: fiction! (part 5/6)

12 Responses to “Boing Boing Gift Guide 2009: fiction! (part 5/6)”

1. igpajo says:

Cory, you should start a Boing Boing Book Club or something. I swear probably 75% of what I’ve read in the past couple years is something I’ve heard of here first, most of the time recommended or reviewed by you. Currently reading “World Made by Hand” and have “BoneShaker” and “Makers” queued up at my local library. Thanks so much for all the great reads.

2. Church says:

Avoid P&P&Z, it doesn’t live up to its promise (and has a lot of annoying historical errors to boot.) The Magicians, OTOH, is well worth your time.

3. phil.reed says:

For anyone who will get the Nook at Barnes and Noble, here is an Essential List of the available B&N ebooks on this Fiction (and the Nonfiction lists) Gift Guide http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/List.aspx?ListID=6504700
    Sorry, but most of the books just are not available in eBook format. Also, this does not avoid DRM issues since B&N has their own.

For a really great Young Adult post-apocalyptic Zombie book, Check out the Forest of Hands and teeth by Carrie Ryan

Amazing and intelligently written and recommended by Scott westerfeld

Sequel’s coming out in Feb!

5. newtomato says:

I just finished reading Julian Comstock yesterday, and it is so, so, so good! It’s Tom Sawyer mixed with Handmaid’s Tale and some Thucydides. The characters were flawed and the story was unique.

6. Teresa Nielsen Hayden says:

Thank you, newtomato. That makes me very happy.

7. octopod says:

I enjoyed the caryatids, but *spoiler alert* he does srsly phone in the ending.

8. pidg says:

Never heard of this Cory Doctorow guy, is he well-known?

9. Zebra05 says:

These books may be great, but this list of fiction seems awfully narrow in its scope. You should wander out of the Sci-Fi Fantasy section once in a while.

• Talia says:

There are books that aren’t sci-fi/fantasy??? o.O The hell, you say! ;)

In other commentary, I somehow missed the ‘Shatnerquake’ review previously. That book sounds amazingly wonderful. The thought of Jim Kirk and Denny Crane joining forces to hunt down William Shatner is making my toes wriggle in glee.

Must. Acquire!

I have read “The Strain” and “Julian Comstock”–both are superb.

I might also suggest “Otherlands” by David Anthony Durham. It is the second book of his “Acacia” trilogy. If you are into the George RR Martin “Song of Ice and Fire” series, you will probably enjoy the Acacia universe.

Where are the free links for Makers?