15 Responses to “Freedom of Information requests show that UK copyright consultation was a stitch-up; Internet disconnection rules are a foregone conclusion”

1. That they did this is quite galling enough.  But it’s that they will get away with it that really makes me see red.

Does anyone honestly think that this will have the same media impact, the same public reaction, as the expenses scandal, for instance?  But it should.

Whenever the government deliberately plots to deceive the people it governs, it should cause nationwide outrage.  It should cause those in power to pack their bags and slink out the back door.  But it doesn’t.

• Roy Brooks says:

It doesn’t, because the people with the education and energy to scold are rarely if ever also willing to cause real trouble for what they believe in. This includes infiltrating the organs of government and big business, if mere hindrance is too hard to maintain beyond the short term.

2. fraac says:

How this will work? My ISP will stop me giving them money because I’m doing something they don’t care about? I got a warning letter for sharing an episode of Parks & Recreation and the tone was apologetic, like “NBC sent us this email so we’re passing it on. If there’s anything we can do, get in touch.” I think I’m going to trust the free market on this one.

3. Simon Johnny says:

Like a wise woman once told me; All the MPs lie, but you may as well keep with labour in the votes because at least you know how bad their lies already are, you could get the lib dems and they’d be worse then labour.
    How true was that lol.

4. dav von TRI says:

i’m still wanting Freedom from Information Act.

will anyone read this post honestly.

• I’m pretty certain that I don’t want a Freedom From Information act, because while ignorance is bliss, knowledge is power; but I certainly do want the right to make my own distinctions between signal and noise — or information and bullshit, if you prefer.  I wonder if that is close to what you meant.

5. Squeakstar says:

i even wrote to my MP on this a few months back when it was first revealed there was cloak and dagger talks happening asking for clarity and openness on the subject matter – my MP who is a tosspot tory seemed unaware of all this described above or was just playing dumb. anyway he gave me no confidence my matter i was raising was being taken seriously – a load feckinn arse!!

6. It sounds like hackers can take advantage of this “compromise” by making sure people begin using technology that makes it difficult to track what is being accessed online. Stop the other parts of the DEA from taking effect!

7. dan says:

Sadly the UK government has become utterly predictable (and depressing) over the past few decades.

Take any issue that comes up, think what the most damaging outcome for the majority of the voters that they can get away with is and 95% of the time, that is exactly what we get.
    It seems only mass outrage when they step far too far over the line has any effect, but even then we still only get a ‘slightly less worse’ outcome instead…

Can we have a functioning democracy at some point please?

8. Marc Mielke says:

Unsubstantiated rumors? Start reporting every single sitting MP dozens of times over!

9. BJonesTF says:

Just a quick correction, Cory. The consultation was 2 years ago, not last year.

10. SarahKH says:

I’m sorry but writing to your MP won’t do a lot of good, at best you’ll receive a puff piece letter that will explain to you why you are wrong and this is a good thing, at worst your letter will go in the big round file.

You have to find it amusing that the day after the French (C) agency released a report saying, words to the effect of, you really don’t want to disconnect these people because they actually buy a load of stuff.  We have the UK government caught with it’s trousers down over similar, possibly more draconian, enforcement policies.

Of course it should be remembered that two of the UK’s largest ISP’s have said they’ll deploy technological counter-measures to protect their customers against this bill.