Chinese Oreos are totally tubular

37 Responses to “Chinese Oreos are totally tubular”

1. You can find a very similar egg and sugary confection everywhere in China usually in red and gold metal boxes, very thin and fragile.
     Now, the chinese can’t make a decent chocolate and maybe that’s the catch, not the tubular form.

2. TimmoWarner says:

As the article says, those straw Oreos are available in Canada too. They’re surprisingly good.

And Oreo Cakesters are shockingly bad.

• EH says:

“cakesters,” really? jesus, what was your first clue? have you seen the packaging? they make you fat just by reading.

• Chuk says:

Cakesters are fine (sure, they are a processed baked good but it’s not like you didn’t know that when you bought it.) Way better than, say, Twinkies.

3. You can find these in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles – and the inside is flavored with green tea!

4. ChicagoD says:

Uh, there are Oreos of different hues in the grocery stores all over America. Green filling for mint. Orange for Halloween. Football shaped for Super Bowl week . Vanilla, which are white and white. I could go on . . .

5. Antinous / Moderator says:

So….Oreo-flavored piroulines.

6. Ian Wood says:

Pocky people should dig these a bunch.

7. spacemunky says:

Interesting that they still focus on the dunking-in-milk angle when marketing in region where most are lactose intolerant.

• EH says:

they’re including a milky background, but I wouldn’t say they’re focussing on it. Nabisco probably wants roundeyes to get a chance at recognizing and buying while in-country.

• Jonathan Roberts says:

I don’t know about most people being lactose intolerant in China, it seems to be more the case in Korea from what I can tell. Where I am in China every shop has quite a large selection of milk, and parents feel it’s very important for their children to have it.

• kartwaffles says:

Dunk in soy or almond milk. The fun is not limited to lactose-tolerant mutants.

8. robotmonkeys says:

Those are “Oreo Fun Sticks.”  they’ve been out for several years now.  http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/wordpress/2009/03/23/review-nabisco-oreo-fun-stix/  Also, from my recent Chinese-Oreo experience, regular Oreos are predominate.

9. Tom says:

Green Tea Oreos? Mango? Straws? Why don’t they have these here? I would start eating Oreos again.

• penguinchris says:

Yeah, seems to me that’s the real takeaway from the story, not the tube/straw ones which you can get in the US (perhaps not in all states?)

I was amazed at some of the excellent flavors American-brand snacks (or local knock-offs) came in when I was in Thailand, which you’ll never find here even in Asian grocery stores.

Green tea Oreos definitely sound amazing. If I saw that in a store I’d snatch it up immediately, even though I never normally buy oreos. Something to look out for if I go to China, I guess :)

10. snowmentality says:

Oreos always disappoint me. The way they taste in my mind is so much better than the way they taste when I eat one. It’s actually driven me to stop eating them, because I know it’ll never be what I’m hoping.

Probably for the best.

• Stefan Jones says:

You probably remember the taste from before they took out the bat semen.

• penguinchris says:

I find that mass-produced, processed-food style cookies like Oreos and other national brands are massively improved by mixing them in with pudding or ice cream. This somehow improves both the flavor and the texture – more than simply dunking them in milk does (though that does help quite a bit as well).

• snowmentality says:

You know, you’re right. Oreos taste much more like they do in my imagination when they’re crushed up in vanilla ice cream. I wonder why? When I eat them plain, there’s some slight off flavor, something maybe a little acidic or bitter. I always figured it was some kind of preservative or artificial color or flavor. Whatever it is, it does seem to be lessened substantially by mixing with ice cream.

• penguinchris says:

Yeah, I think it’s probably a preservative or something along those lines. I taste it in a lot of things, and often don’t like the national brands because of it. Many local store brands (Wegmans grocery store’s own-brand is quite good) and e.g. Trader Joe’s products don’t tend to have this issue. Trader Joe’s oreo-style cookies are quite good, actually :)

I wonder if it’s something that everyone can taste? I’m super-sensitive to vinegar, mustard, and certain other tastes – I can detect even a little bit and it’s overwhelming to the point where food with these ingredients is usually inedible to me. Perhaps I’m also particularly sensitive to whatever this ingredient is.

Not sure how the ice cream affects this, perhaps it just covers up most of the oreo flavor so what you’re mostly getting is the texture and the chocolate flavor (which should be the strongest flavor).

11. bcsizemo says:

Can’t twist apart…..
    Using two double stuffs to create a quad stuff is about the only reason I eat Oreos.

12. cstatman says:

http://www.amazon.com/Oreo-Stix-5-Ounce-Boxes-Pack/dp/B0026XXBDW   my kid loves them.   and we usually get ‘em at the grocery store.  nothing fancy.

13. WaylonWillie says:

Anyone else been to China and tried the popular Oreo knockoff brand “Black Wind”? That is not a good cookie.

14. Cost Plus World Market sells tins of tubular wafers with chocolate, hazelnut and lemon fillings, very much like this. Kinder sell a wafer straw too. I don’t think China is the only place this type of experimentation goes on.

Cost Plus World Market also sells McVities Dark Chocolate Digestives, and is therefore my church.

15. Flashman says:

Those Oreo straws (‘Oreo Sippers’) are available in Canada (though not ALL of Canada, because I tried to find some in London Ont for my nephews and had no luck) and are Amazing. The vanills ‘Oreo Golden Sippers’ at least; I haven’t tried the chocolate kind. I don’t even like the cookies that much but these things, I rave about them to anyone who will listen and even some people who won’t listen. Seriously, they are really tasty.

16. Jonathan Roberts says:

Until they introduce TimTams or Penguin bars, I won’t be impressed.

17. kartwaffles says:

Chinese Oreos were on NPR the other day. Apparently, the original Oreo cookie was too wack for Chinese palletes: the filling was too sweet and the cookie part was too bitter. So, Nabisco tweaked the recipe for the Chinese market. They tried different flavors. Different shapes, even.

Simultaneously, Oreo in China ran an ad campaign to introduce the twist-lick-dunk ritual, which was completely alien to Chinese consumers. It caught on. Now China has tube-shaped, rectuangular, green-tea-flavored, and all kinds of amazing Oreo bizz.

Meanwhile, I just miss me some freaking Hydrox. I’d try a Chinese Oreo though, if they were available in my market.

18. benher says:

What “market research” praytell? Watching Japanese commercials from the last 3 decades?Imagine, a product in China ripping off something invented elsewhere, America cooperating – dropped that monocle in the martini years ago.

19. I’m in South Africa, and I saw those straws on sale in a Spar here yesterday.

20. wil manning says:

I’ve had American Oreos, Chinese official Oreos and Chinese fake Oreos all in the last few weeks by coincidence (I live in Beijing right now). What is most amusing is how bad fake oreos are, considering that the originals aren’t anything particularly genius to begin with.

21. DreamboatSkanky says:

“And why should an Oreo be round?”

These appear to be every bit as round as your standard Oreo.