35 Responses to “Here is a video of a person in a Darth Vader mask and cape, and a Utilikilt, riding a unicycle, playing Star Wars music on a bagpipe, in Portland, OR”

1. Mr. Mole says:

The dream of the 90′s is alive in Portland.

2. Brainspore says:

It’s a shame there wasn’t video from another angle because I’m really curious how someone in a Vader mask could play a bagpipe.

3. David Wyatt says:

That is one pretty talented individual, most cant talk and walk at the same time these days.  This guy is on a unicycle which is tricky enough, then playing bagpipes which involves both arms and breathing properly, while wearing a skirt/kilt and a helmet that is probably obscuring his view.

4. Jim Nelson says:

My brother has apparently seen this guy commuting to work on his unicycle – a Portland celebrity, apparently…

5. SedanChair says:

In many ways, this is the least surprising video.

6. chris jimson says:

Meh, it’s been done (as you can see from the video.)

7. Mister44 says:

Let your freak flag fly, laddie.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

How do you know that’s a laddie?

• Mister44 says:

Easy. Girls don’t wear kilts.

• Brainspore says:

So a Vader-costumed bagpiper on a unicycle is no big thing, but the idea of a girl in a kilt is just too wacky to be plausible?

• Mister44 says:

If your telling me a girl can where a kilt – then I could no longer trust anything else I know about reality. It would literally shatter and I would go mad.

So no – too wacky to be plausible.

• IronEdithKidd says:

Mr.44:  In order to avoid shattering the last vestige of your worldview, I suggest you never attend your local Ren Fest.

8. deeznuts says:

Or as I like to call it…Thursday.

9. irksome says:

If i’ innae Scots, i’s CRAP.

10. Spieguh says:

I just visited Portland for the first time a couple weeks ago, and even went into Tibet Spirit there on Hawthorne. Must have been too rainy for UniVaderBag to be out, but that would have made my day!

11. wysinwyg says:

I don’t think I mention often enough just how much BoingBoing increases my quality of life.  Quite a bit.

12. texcat says:

i must be jaded from living in austin too long…this didn’t seem the least bit strange to me

13. Rev.Veggie.Spam says:

I admire his skill but I’d be failing my hometown if I didn’t mention our long-standing local celeb Darth Fiddler:

I can’t say that he’s doing it better but he’s certainly no newcomer to the musical Vader game.

He’s even the mascot of Victoria BC’s sub-reddit.

14. HahTse says:

At least he did it before it was mainstream…

15. Scruff says:

Imagine the noise when he face-plants :)

16. Donald Petersen says:

Weird.  This dude has simultaneously realized a dream I had at seven, one I had at twelve, and a third I had at sixteen years of age.  I never accomplished the latter two (and to be honest my homemade Vader costume looked quite a bit too homemade to satisfy even seven-year-old me), though I did acquire a unicycle at 12 and spent some time falling off it before giving up, and I still have the chanter I bought in hopes of eventually learning to play the bagpipes.  Never did it occur to me to attempt two of these things simultaneously, let alone all three.

But really, it saddens me a bit that if this guy had done this in, say, Pocatello, or Atlanta, or Fresno, we’d be talking about it for, like, months.  But since he did it in Portland we’ll forget about it before suppertime.

17. Tom Pazen says:

I find your lack of pants disturbing

18. We’ve reached the point where hipsters have genuine talent. As a society we are either doomed or have a glorious golden age to look forward to.