Great historical disasters in papercraft form

17 Responses to “Great historical disasters in papercraft form”

1. Stefan Jones says:

The same site has papercraft Dr. Horrible figures. Dr. Horrible (red and white), Penny,  and Captain Hammer.

2. Tarliman says:

The Boston Molasses Flood is one of my favorite weird history events. So very glad to see it included here.

3. mattdidthat says:

Just so everyone’s clear, the story about Mrs. O’Leary and her cow starting the Chicago fire is a fabrication. The reporter who wrote the story later admitted he made it up, and the exact cause of the fire has never been conclusively determined.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Well, duh.

• Brainspore says:

…the exact cause of the fire has never been conclusively determined.

So you’re saying we can’t rule out the cow? Good enough!

• chgoliz says:

Although there is a working theory offered by the docents at the Chicago History Museum which seems convincing: a known ne’er-do-well who hung out in the area, sleeping off his drinking binges wherever he could find shelter.  He had been caught in the O’Leary barn a couple of times before.

• Ito Kagehisa says:

That can’t be true, because it’s in the song.

Three nights ago
      when we were all in bed
      Old Lady Leary left a lantern in the shed
      and when the cow kicked it over
      she winked her eye and said
      “There’ll be a hot time
      in the old town
      to-ni-i-i-ight!”

• Nagurski says:

It’s very upsetting that tall, skyscraperish buildings are depicted in the model as well. Those didn’t come along until the Home Insurance Building started the trend in 1884. A whole generation of children will toil in ignorance because of this silly papercraft project.

4. Aleknevicus says:

I made the Hindenburg diorama a few years ago. (Although satisfying, it’s more work than it appears.) I admired it for a week or so but did not want to keep it forever. So I burned it. It was spectacular!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I sacrificed a three-foot long Pharaonic funeral procession some years back after drinking a bottle of Akvavit.

• Simeon says:

I did something similar with a tissue paper hot air balloon I had made, it wasn’t going to fly as well as I had hoped and so I ‘accidentally’ caught it with the burner. Woomph! My own private Hindenburg.

5. devophill says:

I want a papercraft Dealey Plaza!

6. Brainspore says:

Thank you for not posting this yesterday.

7. septimar says:

I hope you realize that the popular story how Mrs. Catherine O’Leary’s cow started the Great Chicago Fire is fiction and the product of anti-Irish bigotry which ruined the life of a woman.

Edit: I could swear matt’s comment wasn’t here when I started typing. Oh well.

• Brainspore says:

…the popular story how Mrs. Catherine O’Leary’s cow started the Great Chicago Fire is fiction and the product of anti-Irish bigotry which ruined the life of a woman.

I bet the cow never lived it down either.

8. ffij says:

I don’t think the cow in question was Holstein.  Jersey, maybe.  Holstein, no.  We can argue about the fire later, but first please fix the color on that cow!

9. chgoliz says:

Seems like there should be a BB commenters meet-up at the site of the barn, which is now the Chicago Firefighter Training Academy.

I love taking tourists by the place.  The back side of the building looks like it’s been damaged by multiple fires…which, of course, it has.