Tor.com has an excerpt from the upcoming graphic novel of A Wrinkle in Time, published for the Madeline L'Engle original's 50th anniversary. My review of the book is slated for next month when it hits stores, but suffice to say, this is a respectful, accomplished and brilliant adaptation.

9 Responses to “Sneak peek at graphic novel of Wrinkle in Time

1. benenglish says:

I read it as a pretty young kid and thought it was wonderful.  Re-read it several times.  Then a teacher told me it was generally considered a book for girls.  I wasn’t a girl, so I figured if some books were good for girls then they were probably just good books, period, and I’d read ‘em anyway.  Then I read it again.  As an adult, I feel like it’s a good book but for some reason lost to my memory, as a kid I adored it, possibly excessively.  Don’t know why.

2. Stefan Jones says:

It has been decades since I read the book, but I remember many parts of it vividly. I read it many times as a kid.

Wasn’t sure if I wanted to have my mental picture of the story overwhelmed by a graphic novel, but I like the artwork and style.

3. Lewis LaCook says:

Read what was at the time the Time Trilogy when I was a kid, as most here did. Re-read a few years ago–didn’t hold up as well, but still worth it.

4. The Rizz says:

I had never read it as a kid, and read it for the first time earlier this year. I found it to be dull, simplistic, and not especially well written. Nobody I’ve ever heard suggest it didn’t first read it as a young child.
    I am afraid to say that I think much of its charm must be coming from nostalgia, because IMHO it just does not stand up to other children’s books or other “classics” of the same time period.

• dragonfrog says:

And yet there must be something behind the nostalgia – I read plenty of books as a kid that didn’t especially stand out for me, and for which I now have no nostalgic attachment, that probably aren’t significantly worse on those fronts, and may indeed be better.  So what is so delightful about those books, that as an adult is partially obscured by some of their formal shortcomings?

5. signsofrain says:

If ‘Chiggers’ is any indication, Hope Larson is the perfect lady to illustrate this. She draws kids really well.

6. chgoliz says:

This is a book I read aloud to my children at dinner when they were in elementary school (a family tradition I highly recommend…first half of the meal is talking, second half is reading/listening), having first read it myself in elementary school shortly after it came out in the 1960s, so I can speak to the nostalgia vs. technical merits debate.

It is not the most literary book, that is true.  But it’s memorable. The characters, certainly, but more specifically the ideas they embody.  There’s a good mix of everyday human reality and sci-fi impossibilities.  Children have no difficulty with that sort of hodgepodge, which can seem stilted to adults.  In fact, it’s a good representation of their reality.  Most of what we adults understand is still magical to children.  I think reading it for the first time as an adult probably wouldn’t make sense, but reading it as an adult TO CHILDREN actually helps you get into their mindset.

7. Tavie says:

Favorite book. This looks like a wonderful adaptation – very excited.

8. Spieguh says:

This was the first sci-fi-ish book I read as a kid, some 26 years ago. It blew my mind.

I haven’t read for a long long time, but I still have a clear sense of the creepiness and unease I felt while reading it.