It's OK to Do Stuff: rude and funny parody of Free To Be You and Me

24 Responses to “It's OK to Do Stuff: rude and funny parody of Free To Be You and Me”

1. Jardine says:

Steven Page isn’t with Barenaked Ladies anymore.

2. Tavie says:

Fucking perfect!

3. Dv Revolutionary says:

How dare they have had idealism that they could make a better culture for children. Let’s make fun of them.

4. Masquirina says:

I would like to throw three raw eggs onto the roof.

5. Frank Diekman says:

ME (Who grew up in crummy little red-neck towns, went to bad public schools): I heard about the anniversary of this album called “Free To Be You And Me” on a podcast. Apparently it had all these songs about how it’s OK for boys to play with dolls and stuff.

MY GIRLFRIEND (Who grew up in upper middle class suburbs, went to high quality private schools): I loved that album when I was a kid! I listened to it all the time. You never heard of it?

ME: If I got caught listening to something like that when I was a kid, I would have gotten my ass kicked.

• Matisse Enzer says:

QED

• Jonathan Badger says:

Don’t get the idea that this was some private school thing. I never heard the album but the movie was shown every year in public grade school. Granted, in Madison, WI, which is basically Portland with more snow.

• cub says:

i remember marlo thomas’s special airing in prime time on broadcast tv– not terribly upper-class, as it was free to anyone who had access to that channel at that time…

::shrug::

6. Peter says:

I hope I wasn’t the only one who, at first, thought “do stuff” was a euphemism for masturbation (instead of what I finally decided, a set of pretty much everything which also includes that).

7. nixiebunny says:

“…unless feeling pressured is what you want to do.”

Classic.

8. CLamb says:

A pity it has that one crude scatological word in it otherwise it would be delightful for children to watch.