37 Responses to “John McAfee dumps VICE after photo metadata reveal; "Obviously, legal proceedings are under way."”

1. Brainspore says:

It is no longer clear to Mr. McAfee that the “accidental” release of his co-ordinates due to Vice Magazine’s editorial department’s failure to remove location data from their now notorious photo, was indeed an accident.

If only one of the people at that photo shoot knew something about internet security!

2. And you wonder why the US military hates embedding reporters.

• Brainspore says:

On the contrary, the U.S. military loves embedding reporters. It’s a great way to ensure all the news coverage is one-sided.

“Frankly, our job is to win the war. Part of that is information warfare. So we are going to attempt to dominate the information environment.”

—Lt. Col. Rick Long, USMC Head of Media Relations

3. I’m on the lam. I’m a high-profile target, worth millions. And then I decide that it’s a GREAT idea to give an interview.

Really, John? That was your train of thought? “I can totally publicize my side of the story, while thumbing my nose at the po-po!”

This nutbar /deserved/ to be caught.

4. dark says:

>a breach of verbal contract

hahaha
    verbal contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on…

5. Michael Best says:

Personally I’d probably go with negligence since it’s an easier answer.  What were they taking the photos with if it had GPS info, ah, yes, iPhone 4S.

6. Cowicide says:

Gee, I wonder why I never really trusted crap apps like Mcafee VirusScan, etc…

7. brandonmwest says:

Totes obvi

8. awjt says:

Must a been mcafee software

9. angusm says:

“And further, I will show that my client was injured by the actions of VICE Magazine, whose negligence led directly to him being arrested, charged and convicted for criminal acts(*) that he had committed. Furthermore, I will ask the court to take into account the mental suffering experienced by my client: having previously believed himself to be above the law, you may imagine, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the mental distress that he felt when he discovered that he was not, distress that was directly attributable to the inexcusable conduct of the defendants.”

(*) Entering Guatemala illegally, at least; murder, possibly.

Yeah, that’ll work.

• Xof says:

Excuse me, I have to go sue all of the cops who pulled me over for upsetting me and making me late for work.

• Brainspore says:

Fun fact: to enter Guatemala “legally” in that region you actually have to pay a bribe to the border agents, but the bribery is so longstanding and entrenched in local culture that it’s pretty much like paying any other fee. Travel guides even tell you exactly how much you should expect to pay (not an especially large sum, something like $15 if memory serves).

10. Sean Hyde-Moyer says:

General Zod has really let himself go…

11. franko says:

oh, what a tangled web we weave….

12. daev says:

Lessee here…

✔ surround yourself with drug cartel bodyguards
    ✔ try to bribe local officials with said bodyguards
    ✔ have a rotating cast of young hoes on hand
    ✔ operate a designer stimulant lab for yourself and said hoes
    ✔ make invited media nervous with arms and borderline paranoia
    ✔ have a dead neighbor and poisoned dogs after having issues with said neighbor over said dogs
    ✔ running from the cops when they want to know WTF is up with that shit
    ✔ being too fucking stupid to understand EXIF data after founding an AV company

PROFIT!

Man, this guy’s got it all figgered out.

13. rocketpjs says:

My money is on a series of micro-strokes and maybe some early onset deterioration.  It doesn’t seem like he’s been leading an ascetic life, and he seems to be going deeper down the crazy hole each day.

Whatever else he was, you don’t build a billion dollar company by being that crazy – something gives much earlier, even in dot-com mania.  So the crazy is likely more recent.  I could almost feel for him, almost.

14. Kris Rogers says:

I would recommend reading his blog if you believe that every story has more than one side.

15. peterblue11 says:

VICE are fuckin idiots.and nowhere near clever enough to go ‘vice’ for the FBI.

16. Michael Haggerty says:

It’s all part of his plan to rid the universe of the Doctor once and for all!