Impact Future Media of Montreal claims to have secured "the exclusive IP rights" to the story of anti-virus pioneer and noted crazy person John McAfee, who was arrested in Guatemala and is wanted in Belize over the apparent murder of his neighbor.
The Hollywood Reporter has more:
Honolulu-based Brian Fitzgerald, who co-founded the TV production shingle with CEO Francois Garcia, based in Montreal, said he secured the exclusive IP rights to the embattled tech guru’s story.
“[McAfee] trusts that we will honor his life story in an honest and truthful manner,” Fitzgerald told The Hollywood Reporter in an email statement Monday. The TV producer is looking for investors and production partners for the project, tentatively titled Running in the Background: The True Story of John McAfee.
THR reports that the Canada-based firm connected with McAfee through Chad Essley, the founder of Cartoon Monkey Studio, whom it also represents. Essley is said to be "McAfee’s official cartoonist," and the guy who runs whoismcafee.com. A sample is below.
In an earlier post (and tweet), I asked what actor might best portray McAfee in the inevitable film or TV movie, which now seems closer to becoming reality. Many of you replied with superb suggestions back then. Your ideas are again welcome in the comments for this post!
- John McAfee looking completely like a 1980s villain now
- John McAfee, the New York Times catch-up edition
- Wired's $1 article about software millionaire John McAfee's bizarre ...
- Inside John McAfee's Heart of Darkness
- Lawsuit-plagued McAfee founder hunts for libido-boosting herbs in ...
- Anti-virus software tycoon John McAfee wanted for murder